Small Saltwater Systems (Noob!)

Canadian911Guy

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 7, 2019
Messages
2
Reaction score
1
Location
Burnaby, BC, Canada
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I'm read somewhere (this forum) the only dumb question(s) is/are the one(s) not asked, so here goes:

I have a small (20 gallon hex tank) that I am thinking of turning into a coral reef tank. I've only ever done freshwater tanks, so here goes:

Can such a small tank be turned into a reef tank? Is it too small? If so, what would be the minimum size I should shoot for?

What minimum equipment do I require? Protien skimmer? Refugium? Sump? Etc. etc. etc.??

View media item 5019View media item 5018
I'm also thinking the small sump, refugium, etc. could go in the space with the doors right under the top of the stand.

Any help, direction or comments welcome.

THANKS!!
 
Welcome to the group.

upload_2019-3-22_18-20-32.gif
 
Hello,

I'm read somewhere (this forum) the only dumb question(s) is/are the one(s) not asked, so here goes:

I have a small (20 gallon hex tank) that I am thinking of turning into a coral reef tank. I've only ever done freshwater tanks, so here goes:

Can such a small tank be turned into a reef tank? Is it too small? If so, what would be the minimum size I should shoot for?

What minimum equipment do I require? Protien skimmer? Refugium? Sump? Etc. etc. etc.??

View media item 5019View media item 5018
I'm also thinking the small sump, refugium, etc. could go in the space with the doors right under the top of the stand.

Any help, direction or comments welcome.

THANKS!!
You can do a 20 hex. It is very small. A 40 gallon would be much better, but if you have it already, I would try it. You could do it as simple as a few pieces of liverock, some e sand and a good powerhead for flow. A HOB filter might be a good idea as well. I had a 20 long for several years that was very simple. I would go here and read up!
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/nano-reefs.89/

Welcome!
 
Welcome to reef2reef !!!
Not dumb question however for beginners it recommended for bigger tanks. A 40 gallon is a good place to start
 
I had a JBJ 28gallon Nano Cube running for 5 years, corals were growing like mad. Do 10% water changes every week and test parameters once a week. I use Aquaforest Component 1-2-3 and love it.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 27.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new