OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've added diffusers to all my radions, also added a 5th. I've turned the lights down after I realized my par was 750+ in some areas. Now most of my tank is in the 300-550 range and everything has responded well. I've also backed off my whites. Its now AB+ with no modification @ 75%
Current FTS
DSC_0598

Unnamed Tenuis from TGC. Showing some blushes around the new growth.

Vivids 4 Loco making me waaaaiiiiiiittttt for recovery. Seems like its been a year since it originally bleached on me. Slight signs of happiness now.

ASD Doomsday Center, My StrangerThings acropora top right, hot pink millepora bottom (sold from RRUSA as rainbow but never seen it. Why I'm trying it super low now)

WD starting to branch out for me. Looking good for a "daylight" picture too

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost 2 pieces while getting rid of bryopsis and most lost some of their pop, some turned completely brown. Something in reeflux my tank didnt like. After doing a few water changes its starting to color back up and come around. The ReefFlux worked and my bryopsis stayed gone. I've got a few stragglers of aiptasia hanging on but the nudis are at work.

I've added a few fish:

Exquisite back in the tank

Pencil Wrasse

RedHead Solon Fairy Wrasse

Yellow Fin Fairy wrasse

Pintail (died from fear of the larger fairies)

Copperband Butterflyfish was eating great in the store but my tangs are spooking him. Trying a few homemade feeders with no luck so far. Also trying live black worms shot into the rockwork but he shows no interest.

I've lost 5 pintails in my attempts to keep them. I'm thinking that will be my last attempt. Once i get a group of bartletts anthias or lyretails I'll be done adding fish.

Anyway, here are a few pictures of some of the fish in the tank:

Lineatus is officially the boss of the tank. Looks like this most the day, pretty awesome.

DSC_0633 by matthew schueneman, on Flickr

Yellow Fin Fairy Wrasse

Pencil Wrasse

Solon Fairy Wrasse

RIP Pintail

Blue Star Leopard Wrasse
DSC_0643

Yellow coris
DSC_0644

Blonde Naso
DSC_0628

Scopas
DSC_0627

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank hit a major slump for the last few months. Lots of ongoing rtn/stn issues. Elevated nutrients and low ph. Still battling them today but overall the health of the tank seems to be improving. I've started tracking my parameter using the moonshiners guide/elements and ATI ICP tests. I've also swapped from my g3 pros to a 72" giesemann spectra fixture running 3x250w radiums and 4 ATI blus plus bulbs. I really love this light and the natural look it puts out. Much quieter than the 5 g3 pros fans running all day as well. My wife prefers the whiter spectrum and my sticks seem to as well so far. I believe the moonshiners method is playing a major role in that as well though. Hopefully in 6 months time everything will have leveled out and filled in some. For now a few pictures with my phone radiums+t5s

20200104_134801.jpg
20200104_135318.jpg
20200104_135421.jpg
20200104_140300.jpg
20200104_140318.jpg
20200104_140336.jpg
20200104_140359.jpg
20200104_140432.jpg
20200104_140449.jpg
20200104_140510.jpg
20200104_140536.jpg
20200104_140555.jpg
20200104_140630.jpg
20200104_140645.jpg

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I removed my "bridge" from the rockwork. It was shading the tank a bit too much and giving it a dark look. The tank is responding well to the mh lighting and moonshiners trace element program. I'm getting nice growth now. I do miss my blue LED viewing and am trying to find a way to work that back into my system cleanly.
I was stressing with this whole COVID shutdown and rehomed a good amount of my coral to a fellow reefer, in preparation for breaking down. I've changed my mind and am planning on riding it out for now.

Current FTS:
20200329_080851

I'm considering retrofitting some noopsyche k7 pros between my mh reflectors for blue ramp/viewing if i can do it without permanently altering the fixure. If not, I'll be looking into a supplemental bar but that's gonna take away from the esthetics of this fixture.

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some ebay all blue led strips showing up next week. I'm looking forward to seeing some blue only on some of these pieces. I'm hoping the super actinics plus the blue strips are gonna really make the tank pop during all blue.

Vivid's Orange Crush is looking pretty promising in daylight

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking pretty awesome. I love your selection of fish, it seems we have the same taste in fish. The Lineatus looks awesome. You said he's the boss of the tank, is he a bully? I heard when they get bigger and established they can become a bully. Great job on your tank! I know this COVID pandemic was life changing but glad you chose to stick it out as this hobby can take the stress of our everyday worries away. Last question, what's the moonshiners trace elements program?

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking pretty awesome. I love your selection of fish, it seems we have the same taste in fish. The Lineatus looks awesome. You said he's the boss of the tank, is he a bully? I heard when they get bigger and established they can become a bully. Great job on your tank! I know this COVID pandemic was life changing but glad you chose to stick it out as this hobby can take the stress of our everyday worries away. Last question, what's the moonshiners trace elements program?
Thanks lilchris!
The lineatus and my exquisite wrasse really had to battle it out for a bit. Eventually the lineatus came out on top. He wasn't a bully but there would be a chase here and there and he would flash towards lights out. Unfortunately he disappeared on me about a month ago. I have a lid but searched under and behind the tank anyway and found nothing. I know they don't have the longest lifespans and he was already super male so it's possible he just passed or tried to jump and injured himself and got taken care of by my cuc.

I'm very glad I kept the tank running at this point. Hopefully numbers level off and our economy can start to repair itself while maintaining social distancing.

Reefmoonshiners has a great facebook group. If you go to Andre's reefmoonshiners website he has a guide to reef keeping for free that explains his method.

In short, it's based off a ATI ICP test. You send one in, add your results values into his calculator and it tells you how much of each trace element needs to be dosed and over how many days. He also sells trace elements, vitamins, liquid mud and now amino x from his site.
I always thought I was good on traces due to running a calcium reactor but many of my elements were depleted. A few weeks in on corrections and daily trace elements and some pieces that were dormant seem to have gotten unlocked. Now a few months in my tank is very happy. He is also the one who helped me figure out my low ph issue. That it wasn't due to cow in the home but to too much organic/inorganics in my water column. Ran carbon and got an immediate improvement.

Worth checking out for sure.

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I call this one Toxic Waltz.
20200510_185113.jpg

ASD Doomsday (front) & Reef Pets Ultra Violet (rear)
20200510_181817.jpg

Millepora from TGC. I want to say it was called levitation? The teal polyps are coming back. This ones near the bottom, up top it was all pink
20200510_181808.jpg

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is looking good dude. What are the frags you picked up?
Thank you.

Those are no names. Just came in from Indo, my LFS gets amazing pieces in but they don't use the proper lights to show them off, they are just flesh colored under his lights. Took his word for which ones had color and was surprised when I got home!

Here's one I scored 2 years back in the 35 dollar rack, no color just liked the growth. Looks just like RR Shazam now to me. Top left is a tenuis from there I got last week all bleached out.
20200513_202830.jpg

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank is going to be taken down soon so I wanted to get a few pictures incase everything goes wrong lol. I'm moving down to a 75g peninsula for ease of maintenance and to focus on higher end acropora. This is my first time trying to edit images with lightroom with RAW images. What a difference, these are very close to what these pieces look like under AB+.
Bizzaro Cyphrastrea
bizarro.jpg

Pink Gonipora
Goni.jpg

Wild piece I've had for a while. Very hard to capture it's color
illusion .jpg

My Shazam knock off - I call it Kablowee. Why? IDK it makes sense to me
Klabowee.jpg

A millepora that just sold. This thing used to be hairy as can be, hpefully the next owner can get that going again.
Millepora.jpg

My PC Rainbow has such cool yellow tones to it. Green on the backside where there is less light
PC Rainbow.jpg

Extremely vibrant wild piece. Love the blue rim contrasting the neon green base.
Rebirth.jpg

Daylight picture of my new RRU Rainbow Blossum
RRU Rainbow Blossum.jpg

Another wild piece. The flesh color is a trip. I just love skinny polyps, cant wait to see what a colony of this looks like. Just bumped this up in par to see how it reacts.
Smite's Arise.jpg

Another wild piece Smite's Lure
Smite's Lure.jpg

Wild Piece, Smite's PsychoHoliday :)
Smite's PsychoHoliday.jpg

Now, if I can figure out how to edit under royal blue led this will be awesome. I'm not sure why my snails and rockwork look like paintings, maybe that has something to do with the raw image or the camera settings?

Anyway happy reefing!

Matt

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back