DSC_0307 by matthew schueneman, on Flickr

Full FTS for Friday

DSC_0299 by matthew schueneman, on Flickr

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you like the Stream 3 pump? I'm torn between those or MP40s. My concern with them on my tank is that my overflow blocks the back wall, it the tradition overflow box where the bulkheads are at the bottom of the tank.

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you like the Stream 3 pump? I'm torn between those or MP40s. My concern with them on my tank is that my overflow blocks the back wall, it the tradition overflow box where the bulkheads are at the bottom of the tank.

Love it!
It moves a serious amount of water that's for sure. It's just as quiet as mp40wqds as well. It comes with 3 attachments for different flow types/angles.

Downside compared to mp40s:
Cord in tank and size of pump can be difficult to hide.
So far the controller is harder for me to really figure out. That or it lacks some control when compared to mp40s. Id caulk this up to lack of instructions for now.

Advantages
More control over the actual flow itself. It can create flow that crosses a 6' tank without issue. Mp 40 would not. A nice wide diffused flow as well as an angled flow options with different attachments. These two do kill some movement on longer tanks.

Great build quality. You can feel the craftsmanship when you pick it up.

Long cord for larger tanks.

Overall I'm happy with the switch. I had my Mp40wqds for 3 or so years. They've recently started to make noise. Frustrated that there is no rebuild kit and a dry side is 200+ dollars I had to replace all 3 wetsides once a year due to rust (ecotech was awesome customer service and 2/3 repair was paid for).
If i need more flow down the line I'll definitely be sticking with Tunze and their 5 year warranty.

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This round of QT went a little better. 3 of the 4 fish who entered made it out. I lost only a cleaner wrasse which can be difficult to QT. It was eating very well which was a bummer. I think along with copper I'll be running furan2/metroplex from now on. I think I've been losing fish to bacterial issues during copper treatment. This round I also ran general cure x2 during the copper treatment. That brought my treatment length down to 14 days, which isn't so bad.

Fathead anthias

DSC_0400 by matthew schueneman, on Flickr

Exquisite Wrasse

DSC_0412 by matthew schueneman, on Flickr

Blonde Naso

DSC_0402 by matthew schueneman, on Flickr

I also scored a nice smooth skin deep water acropora. Not sure on the type but this thing is nice during the day. I like the growth structure and polyps are out full force. Its hard to capture but its got some nice yellow coralites and looks like a teal base color.

DSC_0396 by matthew schueneman, on Flickr

Second acropora looked yellow with blueish tips. Once I got it home and saw all the polyps swaying I realize its probably a shortcake type acropora. Although its growth structure looks a little different to me, it has those long string like polyps that short cakes seem to have.

DSC_0397 by matthew schueneman, on Flickr

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is really nice, I am jealous as we have nothing like that over here in PA
Thanks Cody!

Yeah, I feel like lately my LFS have really been getting some killer, wild pieces in. I guess more and more people around here have been requesting sps so they are trying to answer that demand. Nice to see.

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks Cody!

Yeah, I feel like lately my LFS have really been getting some killer, wild pieces in. I guess more and more people around here have been requesting sps so they are trying to answer that demand. Nice to see.

Yeah that is awesome. How are the other 2 SPS colonies you got last month doing?

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that is awesome. How are the other 2 SPS colonies you got last month doing?
Doing good! One is making me wait to see any color:
DSC_0489 by matthew schueneman, on Flickr

The other I moved lower in my tank. I may move it back up, the body has an odd green to it but the coralites really got yellow. What was purple has gone blue:
DSC_0487 by matthew schueneman, on Flickr

DSC_0499 by matthew schueneman, on Flickr

Overall the system is doing pretty well. I just wrapped up a chemi-clean treatment. My skimmer will not calm down so I'm currently doing a water change through the skimmer by letting it overflow into a 5g bucket. It did get rid of a pretty bad green slime problem I was having.

Current FTS. Nice and clean/ algae free!
DSC_0501 by matthew schueneman, on Flickr

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
glad to hear everything is going great recently!

That deep water one looks really nice.
Thanks man! Its one of my favorites for sure. The display has been rock solid, specially for being so young. My QT on the other hand has been a nightmare, lost so many fish. Whole groups at time, not sure whats up with that. I've got a group of blue green chromis, midas blenny, dotty back and fire fish in there now. If they dont make it I'll be done with fish for a while!

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took these through some coral biewing sunglasses. I really need to figure out a decent lense for my dlsr for all blue pictures. This tenuis has very red polyps but appear orange in the picture.
20190419_204927.jpg

This one is starting to get blue with more par, but its lost its deep color so i may be moving it down a bit
20190419_205002.jpg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%
Back