OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this ASD Doomsday from a fellow reefer, Mr.V a while back. It laid dormant for a very long time but finally has decided to start growing. I picked up a macro lens today, Tamron 90mm, so I've been playing around with it and have gotten some pretty cool shots. I have an Avast porthole with filter on its way so hopefully my royal blue top down game will step up here soon :)

ASD Doomsday
ASD Doomsday.jpg

ASD DOOMSDAY top.jpg

CB Maleficent (probably my favorite picture I've taken of a coral so far)
CB Malifacent.jpg

JF Fox Flame
JF Fox Flame.jpg
JF FoxFlame.jpg

Reef Pet's Ultra Violet - I'm struggling to get blues to show without the image looking cold
ReefPet's UltraViolet.jpg
ReefPet's UV.jpg

Wild piece
Smite's PsychoHoliday-2.jpg

wild piece - blueish/purple red polyp table
Table RedPolyps.jpg

ATL Joleen - I got this piece on a local growout/color up contest. It came from Greg Carol's outdoor tank. It was amazing to see the color that ended up coming though, a true stunner. The tips are super unique orange/pinkish color and those polyps are as red as they come.

ATL Jolee.jpg

Pink Gonipora, love the detail that came out in the stocks on this shot:
Gonipora.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Keep on Reefin on!

Matt

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I bought this ASD Doomsday from a fellow reefer, Mr.V a while back. It laid dormant for a very long time but finally has decided to start growing. I picked up a macro lens today, Tamron 90mm, so I've been playing around with it and have gotten some pretty cool shots. I have an Avast porthole with filter on its way so hopefully my royal blue top down game will step up here soon :)

ASD Doomsday
ASD Doomsday.jpg

ASD DOOMSDAY top.jpg

CB Maleficent (probably my favorite picture I've taken of a coral so far)
CB Malifacent.jpg

JF Fox Flame
JF Fox Flame.jpg
JF FoxFlame.jpg

Reef Pet's Ultra Violet - I'm struggling to get blues to show without the image looking cold
ReefPet's UltraViolet.jpg
ReefPet's UV.jpg

Wild piece
Smite's PsychoHoliday-2.jpg

wild piece - blueish/purple red polyp table
Table RedPolyps.jpg

ATL Joleen - I got this piece on a local growout/color up contest. It came from Greg Carol's outdoor tank. It was amazing to see the color that ended up coming though, a true stunner. The tips are super unique orange/pinkish color and those polyps are as red as they come.

ATL Jolee.jpg

Pink Gonipora, love the detail that came out in the stocks on this shot:
Gonipora.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Keep on Reefin on!

Matt
Looking great! Man, were gonna have to trade some stuff soon. Great shots.

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20201013_203328.jpg

This is a phone x gel filter pic so accept those orange tips are hinting at being there but no THERE there. What's so cool about this piece to me, is that when the blue rim shoots up it's still blue. Those nubs are only like a 1/4" but it makes me wonder what this piece will look like as a full grown colony. Will self shaded areas go more blue as it grows? I hope so! And I'll find out in the next system ;)

Vivids Orange Crush. I noticed multi -toned polyps during my daylight schedule on the edges today. Looks like a yellow base. I hope one day when this is fully grown out itll be a killer piece and not orange shade necessary to see all the colors. I know there are Vivid haters out there but I can say that high end frag tank has some gnarly color.
Another phone x polyp lab filter
20201013_202846.jpg

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
20201013_203328.jpg

This is a phone x gel filter pic so accept those orange tips are hinting at being there but no THERE there. What's so cool about this piece to me, is that when the blue rim shoots up it's still blue. Those nubs are only like a 1/4" but it makes me wonder what this piece will look like as a full grown colony. Will self shaded areas go more blue as it grows? I hope so! And I'll find out in the next system ;)

Vivids Orange Crush. I noticed multi -toned polyps during my daylight schedule on the edges today. Looks like a yellow base. I hope one day when this is fully grown out itll be a killer piece and not orange shade necessary to see all the colors. I know there are Vivid haters out there but I can say that high end frag tank has some gnarly color.
Another phone x polyp lab filter
20201013_202846.jpg
Both of those are great! Nice! Vivid is only 15 minutes from where I live, so no hating here. A couple pieces that I have came from them, one of them being that blue/purple acro (it's called tropical dreams). Confetti, what's not to love?

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh this Avast porthole is gonna be fun!

Vivid's OrangeCrush under AB+. Showing that even under daylight theres some two-toned color polyps to look at. The edges are showing some cool pinkish hues. I haven't see this one around much but I have a feeling it's gonna be a stunner with that turquoise/green base color.
GroupShots 10.16.20-14.jpg
GroupShots 10.16.20-15.jpg
GroupShots 10.16.20-05.jpg
GroupShots 10.16.20-04.jpg

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great shots! I need to pick up a porthole for my Nikon. I'm kinda tired of using my iPhone and filters.
Worth every penny. I'd pass on the filter for blue light though. Its yellow which creates greens out of blue and orange out if pink ect. But the porthole is awesome and you can tell a lot of thought and feedback went into that thing.

So I'm thinking something along the lines of this for the wrasse box coverup. Its siliconed in place but then rocks aren't cemented together yet. I really hope the existing rock I have is going to fit this tank how I invision it will.

Things came up this weekend but I'm hoping next weekend the swap over is gonna go down!

What's everyone's opinion on the best media bricks? Without sand I want some form of aragonite in the sump for added filtration. I ran marine pure blocks before, they broke down over time and I constantly had really high aluminum levels on ICP test. Tank seemed fine but if theres another type of block that doesnt leach anything I'd like to give it a go.
20201017_161025.jpg
20201017_161033.jpg

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to figure out a low ATO container for that right side thatll double as a stand for a frag tank later on. Or I might hit up AA and have them make me some form of dual function piece. Short low ato with a shallow 6" frag tank mounted up top? Seems like a good use of space to me

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rock around the wrasse box looks good. Seems like it'll blend in with the other rock, especially when viewing from the front.
I'm either going to leave the center rocks out on it and butt my current rock against it or move the other rock forward and try and tie it in. I like the corners as is. I cut the 90 degrees out of one large rock with a multitool, worked surprisingly well!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 18.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 46 51.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.0%
Back