Smite's UNS 120s peninsula

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had a yellow band possum wrasse in my first SW nano, love how they make their way through the water. Sorry to hear, those Tanaka variations are gorgeous. I'd never heard of Fusilier damsels, pretty cool looking! Are they still aggressive?
Fusilier damsels are super passive and act more like super chill anthias. They are found swimming with anthias in the wild and will shoal in tanks. They're underrated fish for sure. Don't let the damsel name fool you, they are far from a "damsel" in most regards.
Thanks, he was a super cool fish and always fun to watch him cruise the rock work. I'll probably hold out for another Tanaka. I bought him as a white banded, but he was a Tanaka, which I think half of the Tanaka's are misidentified as white banded. (It's pretty easy to tell the difference once you know what to look for)

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day to day I go back and forth between sand or BB. I went to pull the trigger on some Tropic Eden reef flakes or meso flakes but everywhere appears to be sold out. I had some acrylic from when I was going to make a false wall on this tank and started to form an idea for a "low-pro" wrasse bed. If i go this route I'm going to put a small trim on it to keep as much sand in as possible. I'd basically silicone this in place and build a small rock wall off/ around it to make it less noticeable/square.

This measures 12" long x 4" off back wall x 3" deep. It would be home to my blue star and moyeri leopard wrasse. White is what I had on hand, but I almost thing clear could be very cool and less noticeable once filled with sand?

20201007_200457
20201007_200441

I feel like it doesn't take up much room since a 1/4 of it is under my overflow. It will be accesible to siphon but I'll also be placing either a gyre or my Tunze stream 3 blowing just over it so hopefully it wont turn into a detritus trap.

Thoughts?

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fusilier damsels are super passive and act more like super chill anthias. They are found swimming with anthias in the wild and will shoal in tanks. They're underrated fish for sure. Don't let the damsel name fool you, they are far from a "damsel" in most regards.
Thanks, he was a super cool fish and always fun to watch him cruise the rock work. I'll probably hold out for another Tanaka. I bought him as a white banded, but he was a Tanaka, which I think half of the Tanaka's are misidentified as white banded. (It's pretty easy to tell the difference once you know what to look for)
I've never seen these before, the must be super rare? Thats a pretty cool option for a shoal. I was obsessed with red spot cardinal fish on a search for a shoal for a previous 66/100g I had but was never able to keep them alive sadly.
those sunsets are awesome
Thanks mattzang, and they are still eating pretty well. 1/2 way through the general cure treatment, then I'll probably just monitor them for a bit and attempt to fatten them up. The male ate well for the first time today, the white tail is a nut ball. Hopefully he'll mellow out a bit.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Day to day I go back and forth between sand or BB. I went to pull the trigger on some Tropic Eden reef flakes or meso flakes but everywhere appears to be sold out. I had some acrylic from when I was going to make a false wall on this tank and started to form an idea for a "low-pro" wrasse bed. If i go this route I'm going to put a small trim on it to keep as much sand in as possible. I'd basically silicone this in place and build a small rock wall off/ around it to make it less noticeable/square.

This measures 12" long x 4" off back wall x 3" deep. It would be home to my blue star and moyeri leopard wrasse. White is what I had on hand, but I almost thing clear could be very cool and less noticeable once filled with sand?

20201007_200457
20201007_200441

I feel like it doesn't take up much room since a 1/4 of it is under my overflow. It will be accesible to siphon but I'll also be placing either a gyre or my Tunze stream 3 blowing just over it so hopefully it wont turn into a detritus trap.

Thoughts?
I think if you go BB, then this is a pretty good solution. I don't think I could ever go BB myself, but I totally understand, especially with so many sps tanks these days going that route. I wouldn't worry about detritus in that area, the wrasses will keep it turned up and you could put one or two nassarius snails in there to help too.
I'm holding out for the fusilier damsels, so I'll be waiting a little longer. There's a local reefer who sources and QT's fish, but the pandemic kinda put a hold on that search. His prices are great and he's really good about the details. He found my McCoskers for me and got the perfect size. He also gets fish from ORA, that's where I got my sharknose goby from.
Btw, your exquisite wrasse looks great, wish I had the room. Build is looking great!

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if you go BB, then this is a pretty good solution. I don't think I could ever go BB myself, but I totally understand, especially with so many sps tanks these days going that route. I wouldn't worry about detritus in that area, the wrasses will keep it turned up and you could put one or two nassarius snails in there to help too.
I'm holding out for the fusilier damsels, so I'll be waiting a little longer. There's a local reefer who sources and QT's fish, but the pandemic kinda put a hold on that search. His prices are great and he's really good about the details. He found my McCoskers for me and got the perfect size. He also gets fish from ORA, that's where I got my sharknose goby from.
Btw, your exquisite wrasse looks great, wish I had the room. Build is looking great!
I hear ya on the barebottom. Never been a fan of the look either. One thi g I've learned about myself is I will not clean sand religiously then I always wonder if it's my issue with problems arise. My problem in my 180 is I went over hang crazy and cant reach some of the sand areas. My nutrients are higher than I like and I just know theres a bomb under one of my rocks.

I may end up adding sand and sand specific inverts. I keep losing them in my 180 probably due to my coris and hawk fish.

These guys officially made it through general cure and are eating well 3x a day now. I find they like spirulina brine mixed with pe calanus soaked in entice and selcon.

20201010_100147.jpg

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I hear ya on the barebottom. Never been a fan of the look either. One thi g I've learned about myself is I will not clean sand religiously then I always wonder if it's my issue with problems arise. My problem in my 180 is I went over hang crazy and cant reach some of the sand areas. My nutrients are higher than I like and I just know theres a bomb under one of my rocks.

I may end up adding sand and sand specific inverts. I keep losing them in my 180 probably due to my coris and hawk fish.

These guys officially made it through general cure and are eating well 3x a day now. I find they like spirulina brine mixed with pe calanus soaked in entice and selcon.

20201010_100147.jpg
Nice! That's the first major hurdle with anthias, congrats! The key with sand is keeping it "live" with a good mix of CUC, snails, conchs, mini stars, bristle worms and cucumbers. Agree, predatory fish don't help much here. I like about an inch of sand, give or take a little, which keeps moving a little with the flow, but tends to build up in the back more, but that depends on the flow? Right my sand is deeper in the back, guess that's why my tiger tail hangs out there more.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes me hanker to do another build! Plumbing looks great!

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took me a couple months since purchase to get it wet. Hopefully everything goes smooth, I usually order BRS but really wanted a Bashsea so went premium aquatics. Hopefully the customer service understands the situation. First time ordering through them.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Took me a couple months since purchase to get it wet. Hopefully everything goes smooth, I usually order BRS but really wanted a Bashsea so went premium aquatics. Hopefully the customer service understands the situation. First time ordering through them.
What Bashsea did you get? I want one for my 25g lagoon build. They look like killer sumps. I would get a Geo, but those sumps are a small fortune.

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What Bashsea did you get? I want one for my 25g lagoon build. They look like killer sumps. I would get a Geo, but those sumps are a small fortune.
I went with the Smart Series 301516 (30x15x16T) to leave room for the CARX and reactors under the tank. I've got plenty of room, in fact I was going to drill this sump to have a UNS 45s on that return side for a frag tank. So lucky I decided to hold off and do it down the road.

I like the versatility of this sump. Its designed so you can run either socks skimmer in the first section, or run the refugium in the first section. I was going to go with the refugium in the first section because they include the slotted down tubes, that look like they angle up to create a current to spin a chaeto ball. Then skimmer section, then a return area but the water flows through a gate on the back side where I was going to place filter floss before it hit my return pump. This is also where I was going to have the frag tank drain too. This way nothing in my manifold/return gets clogged with detritus. It has the cutouts for cord management and plenty of dosing line holders built in. The only thing I'd like to see would be built in heater holders.

Overall the sump looks very nice. Do plan to spend about 30 minutes peeling all that acrylic paper off though haha. I was very surprised to see the leak by the look and feel of the construction. Hopefully they take care of it for me as I really like the layout and overall aesthetics of this sump.

GEO has always been on my list but I'm in the same boat, just a little too much coin for me. Plus I wanted to keep this one pretty basic.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I went with the Smart Series 301516 (30x15x16T) to leave room for the CARX and reactors under the tank. I've got plenty of room, in fact I was going to drill this sump to have a UNS 45s on that return side for a frag tank. So lucky I decided to hold off and do it down the road.

I like the versatility of this sump. Its designed so you can run either socks skimmer in the first section, or run the refugium in the first section. I was going to go with the refugium in the first section because they include the slotted down tubes, that look like they angle up to create a current to spin a chaeto ball. Then skimmer section, then a return area but the water flows through a gate on the back side where I was going to place filter floss before it hit my return pump. This is also where I was going to have the frag tank drain too. This way nothing in my manifold/return gets clogged with detritus. It has the cutouts for cord management and plenty of dosing line holders built in. The only thing I'd like to see would be built in heater holders.

Overall the sump looks very nice. Do plan to spend about 30 minutes peeling all that acrylic paper off though haha. I was very surprised to see the leak by the look and feel of the construction. Hopefully they take care of it for me as I really like the layout and overall aesthetics of this sump.

GEO has always been on my list but I'm in the same boat, just a little too much coin for me. Plus I wanted to keep this one pretty basic.
Nice! That's funny, I want an UNS 60s for my clam/mangrove display for the 25g lagoon. They're really nice little tanks. Bashsea are pretty cool and I like how they are adaptive to your needs. A very smart way of doing it. I remember looking at them during that last RAP show I went to.
Maybe your sump had a rough go during shipping? Sometimes these things happen, but it's just a minor fracture that all is needed to create weakness in a seam.
I've been lucky with 99% of customer service in this hobby so far, so hopefully they'll sort it out for you?

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! That's funny, I want an UNS 60s for my clam/mangrove display for the 25g lagoon. They're really nice little tanks. Bashsea are pretty cool and I like how they are adaptive to your needs. A very smart way of doing it. I remember looking at them during that last RAP show I went to.
Maybe your sump had a rough go during shipping? Sometimes these things happen, but it's just a minor fracture that all is needed to create weakness in a seam.
I've been lucky with 99% of customer service in this hobby so far, so hopefully they'll sort it out for you?
Nice! They make some of the cleanest little tanks and are fairly priced for whatcha get IMO.

So premium passed me to Bashsea for warranty. After seeing a video I sent they agreed it was just a pinhole that somehow made it through production. They said thats a first for them. They shot me a call and explained how it could easily be fixed but if I wanted would swap the shell as long as mine was in new condition. Well, I've been working around plumbing this thing so theres scratches ect so I've opted to fix it myself. I hit it with some weldon #4 and it filled the pin hole nicely. So nicely I went around and hit all the front seams to be sure they are good.

A local reefer was giving away a tub so I've got two large ones to work with now. If the sump passes leak test tomorrow evening, I'll be wet all weekend swapping tanks still :)

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice! They make some of the cleanest little tanks and are fairly priced for whatcha get IMO.

So premium passed me to Bashsea for warranty. After seeing a video I sent they agreed it was just a pinhole that somehow made it through production. They said thats a first for them. They shot me a call and explained how it could easily be fixed but if I wanted would swap the shell as long as mine was in new condition. Well, I've been working around plumbing this thing so theres scratches ect so I've opted to fix it myself. I hit it with some weldon #4 and it filled the pin hole nicely. So nicely I went around and hit all the front seams to be sure they are good.

A local reefer was giving away a tub so I've got two large ones to work with now. If the sump passes leak test tomorrow evening, I'll be wet all weekend swapping tanks still :)
Nice!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 122 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back