Smitten Once, Smitten Again, & Again

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, new to R2R for the last few months. I've asked a lot of questions, and tried to help with a little advice.
I had a 30 long 30 years ago when the under gravel was the way to go. After years, I had all kinds of local stuff. I thought it was the greatest thing to take my young daughters down to the bay, catch a new fish, run back home to deposit, and go back for another. Going to the beach was another adventure. Don't ever bring home a rock from the jetty. I had so many mussels in a few months.
I'm glad I'm back in with a 180. I'm amazed at how quickly growth occurs today compared to years ago. Live rock, live sand, and plenty of filter feeders is really the way to go. I started May 1, 2015, and started another 60 for my local stuff, Seahorse, Pipefish, Blickfish, Killiefish, Grass and Mud shrimp, clams, crabs, and scallops. I collected these in 37 degree water by Jones Beach in December 2015.
It's all just incredible ! I don't watch TV anymore!
Thank You All in advance, for my future questions and IDs............John
image.jpeg

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I love local based tanks but... We need more pictures!!

Here in Fort Myers I have several friends that walk the beach after a storm and bring home stuff washed up.. And it's fascinating what they bring!

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome aboard, Tautog!

I remember as a kid, going to Jones beach and visiting part of the beach that ... I think ... was called "Zach's"? I might have been all of four or five, but some memories stick with . . . There would always be bigger kids there with a collection of incredible creatures such as puffers... Years later, with the local Aquarium Society, we'd head out to Quoge or Shinnecock, and fill our seines in August and September with seahorses like the one in your photo, and tropicals that ride up on the Gulf Stream. Lookdowns, bean-boxfish, spotfin and foureye butterflies, African pompano, bigeyes, small barracudas, permits, cobias, ... and little green tautogs. Native tanks can be incredible, but aren't something we see 'round here often, so yours is most welcome! (Got me wondering what could be done with native macroalgae and inverts, with good filtration and lighting that just wasn't available "back in the day".)

~Bruce, just over in CT . . .

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome2.jpg

I think my tank looks like 100% downunder as I been there once and dove the Barrier, when I look back and look at my tank now I say YES!!

OP
OP
Tautog

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome aboard, Tautog!

I remember as a kid, going to Jones beach and visiting part of the beach that ... I think ... was called "Zach's"? I might have been all of four or five, but some memories stick with . . . There would always be bigger kids there with a collection of incredible creatures such as puffers... Years later, with the local Aquarium Society, we'd head out to Quoge or Shinnecock, and fill our seines in August and September with seahorses like the one in your photo, and tropicals that ride up on the Gulf Stream. Lookdowns, bean-boxfish, spotfin and foureye butterflies, African pompano, bigeyes, small barracudas, permits, cobias, ... and little green tautogs. Native tanks can be incredible, but aren't something we see 'round here often, so yours is most welcome! (Got me wondering what could be done with native macroalgae and inverts, with good filtration and lighting that just wasn't available "back in the day".)

~Bruce, just over in CT . . .
Thank You for the welcome, and yes exactly, Zachs Bay, actually across from the theater. If you use a crab trap, incredible what you'll catch. From grouper to butterflies to Blenies. I just started with the locals, and everything I caught was in Dec., water was 37 degrees, I never thought they would survive. It's been 3 months, I'm happy!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back