Smooth Skin/ "Deep Water" Acropora - Show 'em off here!

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've gone through a few phases in my acropora addiction where I get locked into certain types of sps. Right now it's those deep water, smoothed skin acropora. With so many of my corals really popping under blues only (tenuis), I've begun to appreciate how these type of acropora look great during the full day light hours. Plus their unique growth structures make them stand out among other acropora.

This is my newest addition. Labeled as only a deep water acropora at my LFS. If anyone can help me with a specific ID that'd be awesome :) Nice teal body and yellowish coralites.
DSC_0396 by matthew schueneman, on Flickr

What I believe is lokani type?
DSC_0277 by matthew schueneman, on Flickr

Hawking enchinata
DSC_0151 by matthew schueneman, on Flickr

With these types of sps being relatively new to me I'd love to see different types. I'm sure R2R has some killer pieces out there! So if you have some please share some pictures! Also feel free to share information regarding lighting, flow, water parameters as I've read these can be finicky.

29bonsaireef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love smoothies, IMO these are more beautiful than the new wave of rainbow corals. These could use a little updating, but here what I have in my collection as of now. Think I'm missing a few others as well.

7516565264_0Q4A1885.JPG
FullSizeRender-1.jpeg
IMG_4429.jpeg
IMG_4425.jpeg
Sorry, these two are with iPhone
IMG_4420.jpeg
FullSizeRender-2.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I approve of this thread. :) Unfortunately I’ve lost the few deep waters I’ve had.
I hear ya on that. I've lost red dragon and ice fire encinata a few times each. I'm hoping to be more successful this go around.

Hopefully some of the experienced keepers will share some target parameters and tips for keeping these type of acropora alive.

29bonsaireef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me I find they all do well midway in my systems, 300-400 par (T5). Lots of flow like any other acro. I think it's best to research the species. A lot of the so called "deepwater" acropora are really not growing all that deep. Many are right alongside the rest of the corals we keep in high light.

YumaMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would PacMan acro be considered a smoothie? If so, that's the only one I've succeeded with. My Ice Fire Echinata lasted 4 days, and my Blue Turaki about 2 minutes longer than the IFE. Red Dragon didn't even make it out of the bag. Beautiful corals, however -- when alive.

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this piece about 5yrs ago. Came in with an Australian shipment. I'm regrowing from a frag, but as a colony it looked like A. Rosaria. It isn't a named piece.
It reminded me of the BC skinny love, which is amazing also.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back