Snail quarantine tank size: 50 snails

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my snails got murdered by my dino outbreak.... Since I finally murdered the dinos, it's time for a return of the snails.

I have 50 snails arriving tomorrow. Astrea, mexican/zebra turbo, trochus, In 23 years I've never quarantined inverts but I'm going to start now.

I have a 20 long QT tank setup with a HOB filter and a filter sponge that's been in my sump for years. I keep about 10 sponges cut to size In my sump in case I need to setup a hospital tank in a hurry.

The QT also has a few pieces of live rock with algae on it.

i had about 70 heads of hammer that also had algae all over the base and I was wanting to break it up and clean it, so those went in the QT too. Figure the snails can clean em better than me!

provided I keep an eye on ammonia and keep all 50 snails fed, do you see any issues keeping them all in the 20 long for 76 days?

i assume it should be a-ok, but never tried this before.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,should be fine,you got it ,well fed,no ammonia,just keep eye out for flipped snails,right them or will die in 20-24 hrs, causing ammo spikes. :)

OP
OP
zalick

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi,should be fine,you got it ,well fed,no ammonia,just keep eye out for flipped snails,right them or will die in 20-24 hrs, causing ammo spikes. :)
Good point about flipping! Normally I only get trochus but wanted a variety for better algae control. I hate flipping snails... Thankfully it will be easy in the 20 long. Some of them may become permanent residents there. :)

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back