SNAIL YES! Your favorite snails & why you love them!

How important are having the right snails in your reef?

• VERY Important

Votes: 302 43.8%
  • Important

Votes: 289 41.9%
  • Not So Important

Votes: 65 9.4%
  • I don't have snails

Votes: 29 4.2%
  • Other

Votes: 5 0.7%

• Total voters

Steve Elb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently ordered 250 snails for my 450g system......yea hair algae BAD!

Ya I know we've only talked about this a couple million times but a fresh discussion about important topics can't be bad right?! Plus we want to hear from people who have yet to chime in on this subject. So it's time to come out of your shell and tell us about your favorite snail and more importantly is why! We need an answer for both of the following questions.

1. WHAT is your favorite snail?

2. WHY is your favorite snail your favorite?

Untitled-1 copy.jpg

snail image via @DaveFe
Turbos! Like lawnmowers

H3rm1tCr@b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Money cowries, stomatellas, chitons, anything weird and wonderful! I have a ton of micro chitons and limpets in my tank. The most chitons I have ever counted in there was over twenty six!

H3rm1tCr@b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been wanting to add snails (and maybe hermits) to my non-existant CUC. Is there a list of snails that don't have trouble righting themselves and who will live longer than a few months? My tank is pretty deep, and if I'm honest with myself I know I'd get sick of reaching into the tank to the bottom to flip them upright if they can't right themselves. I'd eventually not bother.

Only CUC I have now is 2 urchins.

Depending on how big the tank is, I think you could keep a nice variety of mollusks in there. For example:
- Stomatellas
- A sea hare if you have really bad hair algae (they need big tanks though)
- Chitons
- Limpets (slight chance with some species eating SPS; I don't have any SPS myself so I can't confirm that)
- Cerith snails (bulletproof; they stir the sand and clean the glass!)
- Money cowries (usually reef safe, just make sure it has enough algae otherwise it *might* eat soft corals and sponges)
- Turbo snails
etc.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They take care of vermited snails. My tank is full of them and only have 10 Bumble Bees.
Bumblebee snails will clear them out. Takes a few months though. I put 20 in my 180 gal that was over run. I have zero now but the bumblebees are still alive. Either eating detritus or algae.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red banded trochus snails. They are all over the tank constantly eating algae. Plus, it’s funny watching them flip themselves back over, LOL!!!
Ditto! Love those guys!! But I also like my astraea, nassarious, nerites, and ceriths! "Pancho Villa", an already named Mexican turbo arrives tomorrow... was supposed to be today, so hopefully tomorrow!

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumblebee snails will clear them out. Takes a few months though. I put 20 in my 180 gal that was over run. I have zero now but the bumblebees are still alive. Either eating detritus or algae.
They don't eat algae... so probably eating leftover over food or other snails... they're hunters!

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a Nassarius, several Money Cowries and Trochus and a few limpets of some description (hitchhikers) in our tank. The Nassarius has the most character and is the prettiest but the Money Cowries are my favourite workers - GHA lawnmowers.

FragileReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20191215_124210.jpg

My dream team! Limpet and trochus snail.

Got some nassarius snails too!

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trochus snails are my favorite snails as they are good algae eaters, can flip themselves over easily, and reproduce adding to the population while also providing a natural coral food.

eric.tech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Limpets and banded trochus snails! Guess my water conditions are just right because both the limpets and trochus snails are breeding like rabbits. They do some serious work around the tank!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back