OP
OP
Timrpn

Timrpn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Attached? I can move it around the rocks, like pick it up and move it, just got it on Sunday. It has been closed since last night when i came home and noticed 4 snails all on it. Was fine earlier in the day yesterday.

botheboss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Attached? I can move it around the rocks, like pick it up and move it, just got it on Sunday. It has been closed since last night when i came home and noticed 4 snails all on it. Was fine earlier in the day yesterday.
I would try to leave it alone for awhile, unless it’s visibly dead. I don’t think they like being messed with a lot. I would think if it’s still alive it will open up. I wouldn’t try to force it open.

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't move it and don't mess with it. The snails are a bad sign but if it were dead I expect it would be flapping open by now. (From my limited experience)

Its possible the snails were just eating some dead junk that came in on its shell and that annoyed the clam. Sit tight and let it sort itself out.

tastyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EB4B8136-AF08-4DD7-8C9F-AA3A4DC6F0C3.jpeg
10E93FE4-474C-4F22-8CDB-F51E6849CBB8.jpeg

Look like Nassarius distortus, which are good CUC. For reference, it's the bottom of the snail shell that is often critical in ID'ing a whelk. If you can get the buggers to retract back into the shell then we can see the shell. :)

I'd see how the clam does in its new position. Hopefully someone who knows more about them will be able to advise. I'd say unless he's gaping open, then he's alive. Being closed up is a much better sign than wide open

Handegard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned, don’t try to open the clam, you could hurt it.

And it looks like you’ve already had your snails identified, but in the future, just remember “they sold me nassarius” means “they think they sold me nassarius”. No harm intended, but I’ve found whelks in a nassarius shipment before, and if I hadn’t done some searching just for fun, I wouldn’t have noticed them, and they would have been sold to customers as nassarius.

tastyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...just remember “they sold me nassarius” means “they think they sold me nassarius”. No harm intended, but I’ve found whelks in a nassarius shipment before, and if I hadn’t done some searching just for fun, I wouldn’t have noticed them, and they would have been sold to customers as nassarius.

A member on another forum was recently sold Conus ebraeus (Hebrew cones) as Nassarius. Way OT, but the LFS was clueless and still had these venomous snails on sale as nassarius even after being warned by a marine biologist...

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll preface this with, I have never owned a clam, nor am I a clam expert. I've done a lot of research to keep a clam over the years and always settle on not getting one. They require too much and I like my fish more than clams.
So, onto the questions:

How large is the clam?

Did you burp it before placing it in the tank?

Was it responding to changes in light before you bought it? Does it still respond?

How are you acclimating it to your light/ what kind of light do you have?

Did you notice if the clam was gaping at all prior to purchasing or once placed in the tank?

Did you check for pyramid snails?

Is the foot damaged at all?

Considering how new this clam is, I can't imagine your tank is the issue since you have healthy corals in the tank. The snails are not a good sign though. They can tell that something is dying. Either the clam or something in the clam. The fact that the clam remained open in the original picture with snails climbing all over it is definitely not good.

drblakjak55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got it yesterday is the clue. The snails are just doing their job to clean off the new inhabitant.
My crew and my giant urchin did the same thing. Set it where you want it. Mine is on a rock shelf to
keep away from bristle worms. Just give em light

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hate to say it, but IMHO, those snails smell something dying, and are doing their job.

I would say that most clams that I've seen fail, fail quickly... they don't typically last long once they start showing signs. I could be wrong (and hope I am!)

OP
OP
Timrpn

Timrpn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 3, Clam is still clamped closed. Snails do not bother him while on the rock scape. I am unsure if i should move him back down to the sand bed to see if anything changes

OP
OP
Timrpn

Timrpn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think he maybe dead. I moved him to the sand bed and his foot is just dangling there a bit about a centimetre out doing nothing. And within seconds a snail was back on it and trying to get in it. It is open about 1.5 centemeteres.

tastyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that. If you tap the shell, does he close? If not, then I'm afraid he's a gonner. :(

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From your pictures on post #20. I see a white encrusting line of things. Are those like some kind of snail that eats a clam? I am not an expert on this, but I remember when I got mine and did research. People said look for this certain type of snail.

Luno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was his foot attached to a rock of shell when you bought him??

"NEVER EVER BUY A CLAM WHICH FOOT IS NOT ATTACHED TO SOMETHING"

You may get lucky but when the foot is damaged from being harvested and ripped off it can lead to its demise.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back