Snails crawling all over my clam

Timrpn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg Hi there,

I just got this clam yesterday and everything was fine. I went out for the day and came home and saw these snails all over the clam, are they hurting it? Cleaning? What is going on? I have tried to brush them off but they keep going back to it.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"The Nassarius Snail is a saltwater snail that is used as part of a clean up crew that sifts through the substrate (live sand) looking for bits of detritus. Detritus can be thought of as uneaten foods, fish waste, and any dead or dying organisms."

They dont eat algae.

botheboss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try moving it off the sand for a while. Just to keep it away form the snails and see if it’s still healthy.

tastyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get one of the snails out and take a couple of pics of the shell and the underside please?

As above, if they are nassarius, then they eat detritus and dead or dying things. I would check the clam out carefully, one minute they appear fine, the next, gaped open and dead. Check the sand underneath it for other snails or possibly polyclads

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The snails are Nassarius snails. Got a while back as a CUC
Grab them and post a pic of the underside. I had a whelk come in with some Nassarius and didn't realize what he was until it got twice the size of my other snails.

It's hard to tell size but they seem a little on the large size.

OP
OP
Timrpn

Timrpn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe i see blue tissue in the shell, it is shut pretty tight. My wife tried to open the shell and was unable to, is that a good sign? I moved him up onto the rock work to deter the snails from getting at him, since moving him there i have not see a snail go after it.

OP
OP
Timrpn

Timrpn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The snails are most likely attracted by the sent of decay, unfortunately a dying clam.
If it was still dying, would they not go to it on the rock work? I can still see blue tissue in it, sucks because i just got it 2 days ago. I hope your all wrong lol

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posting an image currently would really help please. :)

Back