Snails crawling all over my clam

Luno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clams don't just die in a day or two they take months to die. Something must have gone horribly wrong for him to die in the matter of what a week??

cpschult

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clams don't just die in a day or two they take months to die. Something must have gone horribly wrong for him to die in the matter of what a week??

Lol what?

If no one mentioned this, lift it up to smell. Easiest test if it’s dead/dying.

OP
OP
Timrpn

Timrpn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was his foot attached to a rock of shell when you bought him??

"NEVER EVER BUY A CLAM WHICH FOOT IS NOT ATTACHED TO SOMETHING"

You may get lucky but when the foot is damaged from being harvested and ripped off it can lead to its demise.

I got him at a frag show, he was in a small container with another one that had a bit of sand in it. Seemed alive and well there, reacted when you moved hand over light and didn't have any spots or anything on him. Maybe I acclimated him to quickly, over 90 mins. I feel bad.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was his foot attached to a rock of shell when you bought him??

"NEVER EVER BUY A CLAM WHICH FOOT IS NOT ATTACHED TO SOMETHING"

You may get lucky but when the foot is damaged from being harvested and ripped off it can lead to its demise.
Most of the clams I've ever purchased were not attached to anything, what does that have to do with a clams survival rate? That doesn't mean the clams foot or byssal threads are damaged. Also, clams die overnight without any trauma.

Luno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol what?

If no one mentioned this, lift it up to smell. Easiest test if it’s dead/dying.

Most of the clams I've ever purchased were not attached to anything, what does that have to do with a clams survival rate? That doesn't mean the clams foot or byssal threads are damaged. Also, clams die overnight without any trauma.

Apologies my notifications are not working correctly. If a clams foot is damaged from being harvested incorrectly or being ripped off a rock or shell it is attached to. It can put it under extreme stress and I have seen many a clam die from that.

Note I never said if the foot is not attached it means it has been damaged. It's like making sure a fish is eating before you buy it. It's safety, clams cost few $$ my last clam I bought for $380 im not spending that until I can see him attach to a rock or a shell. If is difficult to tell a damaged foot from a foot that let go sometimes so it's a safety thing to safe buying a clam that's foot has been damaged.

Secondly I do stand by clams don't die overnight without trauma. People may think it died over night but in reality it took a lengthy time basically to die of starvation from lack of light or lack of nutrients to filter feed.

Also I have never seen any real evidence "burping" a clam is of any real benefit

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We can agree to disagree. I just don't see how buying a clam "attached to something" makes any difference at all and its a broad statement to tell someone to never buy a clam unless it's attached to something? Reaction to light/shadows, healthy shell growth are things I look for in a healthy specimen while overlooking the shell for parasitic snails. I agree that clams can starve for months but I also know clams can perish overnight from no trauma whatsoever. Add a sick clam to a tank and it can wipe out a collection very quickly. To the OP, loosing a clam is not fun but don't be too hard on yourself. Many factors remain in why your clam died.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 84 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back