Snails Seem to Keep Dying

Water Quality

Something in the water is likely irritating them and eventually killing them. There could be more obscure explanations, but water quality is the first thing you want to rule out because it’s both the most common cause and one of the easiest to test.

First move:
Run some activated carbon and watch the tank for the next couple of days. Carbon is cheap, easy to use, and very effective at removing many potential irritants or toxins.

If that doesn’t work:
Do a 30% water change.

If things noticeably improve afterward, remember that about 70% of whatever caused the problem is still in the tank. In that case, do 3–4 additional 30% water changes over the next few days to turn over most of the water and dilute the contaminant.
 
Water Quality

Something in the water is likely irritating them and eventually killing them. There could be more obscure explanations, but water quality is the first thing you want to rule out because it’s both the most common cause and one of the easiest to test.

First move:
Run some activated carbon and watch the tank for the next couple of days. Carbon is cheap, easy to use, and very effective at removing many potential irritants or toxins.

If that doesn’t work:
Do a 30% water change.

If things noticeably improve afterward, remember that about 70% of whatever caused the problem is still in the tank. In that case, do 3–4 additional 30% water changes over the next few days to turn over most of the water and dilute the contaminant.
I should have a good understanding of what's in the tank in about a week when my ICP test returns. For now I will cycle my activated carbon and see what happens, as you mentioned it's cheap and easy enough to get going. Will report back!
 
I should have a good understanding of what's in the tank in about a week when my ICP test returns. For now I will cycle my activated carbon and see what happens, as you mentioned it's cheap and easy enough to get going. Will report back!
For me it’s kind of like going to the doctor. I don’t need the doc to tell me I could probably lose a few pounds… or a few tens of pounds. I already know. 🙂

ICP feels similar in a lot of cases. About 90% of the time the recommendation ends up being some version of “do a water change” to bring something back down.

The other 10% of the time, it’s pretty obvious something in the water is irritating the tank anyway… so I end up doing a water change for that reason too.

So these days I often skip the ICP and just do the water change. If things start looking better afterward, that’s all the confirmation I need that something in the water was the issue. Then I’ll usually follow it up with a few more changes to turn the bulk of the water over.
 
For me it’s kind of like going to the doctor. I don’t need the doc to tell me I could probably lose a few pounds… or a few tens of pounds. I already know. 🙂

ICP feels similar in a lot of cases. About 90% of the time the recommendation ends up being some version of “do a water change” to bring something back down.

The other 10% of the time, it’s pretty obvious something in the water is irritating the tank anyway… so I end up doing a water change for that reason too.

So these days I often skip the ICP and just do the water change. If things start looking better afterward, that’s all the confirmation I need that something in the water was the issue. Then I’ll usually follow it up with a few more changes to turn the bulk of the water over.
I do weekly 20% water changes to begin though so it's gotta be something overly abundant in quantity in the water
 
I should have a good understanding of what's in the tank in about a week when my ICP test returns. For now I will cycle my activated carbon and see what happens, as you mentioned it's cheap and easy enough to get going. Will report back!
Following this. Same issue here. Running / ran carbon, ICP MS shows no toxins normal parameters. Tuxedo urchin, nassarius snails, conch, hermit crabs, fish and corals unbothered. Trochus, astrea, nerite, and turbo will go in and last 2 days to about 2 weeks or so. Then just stop moving, lose their grip, and slowly die. Nitrates 5, phosphates 0.09, ammonia 0, alk 8, calcium 400’s magnesium 1300’s, potassium showed high at 433.1 mg/l, some traces like manganese, strontium low.
 
Last edited:
Trochus, astrea, nerite, and turbo will go in and last 2 days to about 2 weeks or so. Then just stop moving, lose their grip, and slowly die.
Hm...

Starvation is by far the most common reason that most people see symptoms like that. Either there's no algae or the algae is too mature for them to eat.

Dino toxins have to be the second most common, but I assume we'd have heard about it if you were having a bloom. Pods usually die off, sometimes corals are also irritated, etc.

How are your pods?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new