Snake Eels: The Safe Moray Alternative?

Mkydsm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the major problem with them. My only suggestion is to ask your LFS. Mine was fairly good about finding some and I've seen 3 species in the last 6 months at LFS's. Their not uncommon just not as often collected as more common species.

This site appears to be selling what is definitely not a banded snake eel. https://azgardens.com/product/banded-snake-eel/ So You'll need to be wary of fakes too.
This site also has one but I know nothing about them so buy at your own risk I guess: https://violet-sea-fish-and-coral.myshopify.com/products/banded-snake-eel?variant=39717587091527

Divers den occasionally sells snake eels though its usually the relatively aggressive but easiest goldspotted.

Thanks for the tip! My LFS called today and finally got one in for me. A banded snake, although a little longer than I had hoped at ~2ft. Going to set up an observation tank with a deep sandbed/some pipe and hopefully get him settled this weekend. Then will have to figure out how to introduce him to the DT without freaking everything out (including him).

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tip! My LFS called today and finally got one in for me. A banded snake, although a little longer than I had hoped at ~2ft. Going to set up an observation tank with a deep sandbed/some pipe and hopefully get him settled this weekend. Then will have to figure out how to introduce him to the DT without freaking everything out (including him).
Awesome!!

I think a bigger one will be easier to feed.
Let me know if you want any help.

Mkydsm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any tips on getting them to target feed? Push it in their face or hold it in place nearby? I understand in a new environment it may take time. I left a few krill and mysis chunks out over night which seem to be gone.

Picked this guy up yesterday. Definitely closer to 3ft. Once I got him settled it was apparent how harmless they are, doesn't mind being handled at all and the colors mask how small their mouth really is. He has however been swimming constantly and trying to escape, but doesn't seem to have the physical ability to do so. Just went into the sand tonight finally.

Fair warning for anyone else considering, most people do not know that this is in fact not a sea snake. Even then may not trust your word for it, as this animal does quite a good job of masking it's gentle nature.

xIYR67gL_juTMA5_2T2cuPBxrZBVnIH0xmxH5ImS4GKHx6-ebWNZlJpdPcQ-kp4kjoFhMsu_K9_r60X5zKWG-xvKCCH0VvwigNz6ah7dCOOueerJsQyCIox3yhwR-rZfTB7AL1FqDCk=w640-h1080

3ft, 27G holding tank:

JU1S-bEQDDr00zdGK6bftS6XUQNYPoSLDBi2lT0SrWW4zCd9oj9XAJqiKX3Thg4o1J2zOks_9xxf6j9d51Iu-1xxjD3DRugqdbHNLDqxmGDUFxndWtpmJmVmp7M-MbtBZmtOSXNYvoo=w800-h1080

8-LVX7ZgCfFH1rE8qc6oUZKBJMyTq3l5_NbhhiVUinxDqwja23M7DymruxqeXWvqjaEtVH9NR96Mx5BSRmgtmz8MUPa_RWFTYpjrN7JYrOXnKajrcIwLpNXVJOMbZga4BaRwyDVpRtY=w640-h1080

Actually pretty cute, IMO

eaQxTYXu8xhRHl4afqMpf7OF9uMffT-f8Y2_5BFCx-WCG_7mvIiv9kKSFXRlVk_GNXUShJfBITET9BGSs_GdS03zeUz4y-014yLWxFhNbip0VTPQtCrAwiQZXI8hnIzr9lzfp4ceEyA=w640-h1080

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any tips on getting them to target feed? Push it in their face or hold it in place nearby? I understand in a new environment it may take time. I left a few krill and mysis chunks out over night which seem to be gone.
Start with small chunks of smelly food. Squid works really well for me as its very smelly and soft. I now cut special long pieces (or the tentacles of smaller squid) so they fit in its mouth but it can be difficult to get the orientation right. You can hand feed though this is the only one I do that with as its mouth is too small to actually bite. You may need to wait for it to come out and look for food which could take a few days. I started mine on ghost shrimp from petsmart but within a week it was eating everything small enough.
Picked this guy up yesterday. Definitely closer to 3ft. Once I got him settled it was apparent how harmless they are, doesn't mind being handled at all and the colors mask how small their mouth really is. He has however been swimming constantly and trying to escape, but doesn't seem to have the physical ability to do so. Just went into the sand tonight finally.
Sounds a lot like mine and also a good sign. Warning mine got out twice in a row last week. It jumped out while a friend was feeding. I'm very lucky I have a brave friend who managed to get it back in the tank. It apparently got too excited for food and went for the open lid.
Fair warning for anyone else considering, most people do not know that this is in fact not a sea snake. Even then may not trust your word for it, as this animal does quite a good job of masking it's gentle nature.
Yes! I grew up with snakes and sea snakes were one of my absolute favorites. Unfortunately those subfamilies make up some of the most venomous snakes in the world (the most if you include Australian terrestrial snakes which technically you should). But yes this is the way you can enjoy the beauty without the danger.
Actually pretty cute, IMO
HAHA! I agree. Though I think most people on here are creeped out by them. Their fear of snakes ruining a harmless and beautiful fish.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 62.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back