Snapper......maybe???

FishRN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just caught a lane snapper today on the boat. It's about 3 inches. Good idea??
Also I have a 75 gallon mixed coral and some other fish
Pretty sure that they have to be at least 8 inches to harvest in most states I had a 10 inch one in a 350 probably 5 years ago he was a terror tried to eat a 6 inch clown trigger that I introduced after.

Cannons Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never kept a snapper in a reef tank before but I am pretty sure that it might nip at your corals especially since it is from the ocean.

Edit: and it might show aggression to the other fish since it is in a small tank

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really worried about size limits. Lol. Anyway n.c dosen't have regs. On them I think. Think I'm going to try it for a few days and see how it goes.
Lane snappers are known to grow to nearly 2 feet long. They are a far more open water fish than many more common aquarium fish and need a large tank to do well. Not to mention snappers are very agressive and will eat anything that fits in their mouth. Certainly not ideal in a 75 gal. From the sound of things you won't be quarantining this fish either.

Last edited:

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A friend of mine made the same mistake years ago with a young yellowtail. The fish was hyperactive and stressed to the point where it was practically bouncing off the glass. It never settled. He ended up letting it go about a week later. Open water fish need alot of space.

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably not a great idea, probably a worse idea if you plan to re-release it into the ocean when it doesn't work? That's generally frowned upon, and usually illegal.
It's actually always illegal as is taking it undersized in the first place. Something tells me he doesn't care. Not only that but the penalty for releasing a potentially infected, highly regulated game fish back to the wild population from a home aquarium could very well be 3 hots and a cot and a close quarters roommate.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brassmonkey

Brassmonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's actually always illegal as is taking it undersized in the first place. Something tells me he doesn't care. Not only that but the penalty for releasing a potentially infected, highly regulated game fish back to the wild population from a home aquarium could very well be 3 hots and a cot and a close quarters roommate.
Buddy already had that for a long time for something a lot worse than a fish!

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buddy already had that for a long time for something a lot worse than a fish!

We don’t need to go there, family friendly and all.

But for your tank, snapper will be a predator that will make a meal of smaller fish, disrupt smaller pieces of aquascape, and get large. May make a good sandwich I guess? :p

OP
OP
Brassmonkey

Brassmonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We don’t need to go there, family friendly and all.

But for your tank, snapper will be a predator that will make a meal of smaller fish, disrupt smaller pieces of aquascape, and get large. May make a good sandwich I guess? :p
Lol. That may be a good option.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back