OP
OP
Nick James

Nick James

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just going to buy from reefsupplies. Too important to mess around with unknowns.

novadan67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a list of known safe bands anywhere? It would be good to know what options others have use successfully.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a list of known safe bands anywhere? It would be good to know what options others have use successfully.

Many fewer people use it these days since the readily availability from places like BRS, Dr. F&S, and Amazon, but Dowflake, Prestone Driveway heat, and Leslies Pool Supply have all been used by folks.

novadan67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy. I've been using BRS, but 2 things are causing me to look for alternative sources. First, I'm upgrading to a 210 gallon tank right now, so I'll be using quite a bit more. Second, I don't like how BRS increased their pricing for "higher purity". That was totally unnecessary and I'm thinking it may come back to bite them. I bought a 5g bucket of Magnesium Chloride when they clearanced the old product, but I think it'll be my last purchase - should last me a while.

I can get Prestone Driveway Heat cheaply at my local Walmart and Arm & Hammer at Costco, so I think that's the way I'll go.

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve found Home Depot stocks Pool Time Total Alkalinity Increaser which is 100% sodium carbonate as well as calcium harness increaser which is 100% calcium chloride. They’ve worked well for me and are still cheap for me compared to BRS or other additives.

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been looking into this also. I was dosing BRS 2 part before the price raise but was having problems keeping them balanced so switched to Kalkwaseer thinking it would be cheaper and easier. While my levels are have been solid and balanced for a couple weeks now I am finding that price wise its not going to be much different and I am going through a gallon every couple days of Kalk. If My calculations are correct if I went back to 2 part (with my new understanding now that I have been researching into the subject) I would use approximately 1 gallon every 3 months of two part dosing 35-40 ml a day. So now I am considering going back to 2 part lol.

I stumbled on Randy's article and the idea of getting a 50lb bag of dowflake and a 13 lb bag of baking soda is awesome. It would last forever lol. But as it turns out the dowflake is no longer available and all I can find that is easily accessible is the prestone driveway heat which may or may not have changed their formula. I found the data sheet and it says that exact percentages are hidden to protect trade secrets lol. That being said.. As much as I love DIY solutions that stick it to the corporations and do the same thing for a fraction of the price I think in this case I am going to stay on the safe side and get the BRS pharma solutions. Its $30 for a 3 month supply or $99 for a 21 month supply.

CoralCollectors805

Coral Collectors
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

CoralCollectors805

Coral Collectors
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

savoyard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 64 45.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 46 32.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 9 6.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back