What calcium chloride product is everyone using for 2 part CA dosing?

Greenstarfish03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using Randy's 2 part recipe for as longa s I can remember and I bought a bag of Calcium Chloride at a pool store moire then 10 years ago that I poured into a bucket that I have been using forever. Everything has been working great, but I ran out the other day and now I don't remember the brand product I was using. I looked up the cost of BSR's product but it was $199 for what I probably paid 20 for last time so I'm in search of a good source that has wroked for others. I remember the original post by Randy mentioned Dowflakes. IS that still a good option or are there other prefered brands that may produce less precipitate these days.

I appreciate everyones input. Its been so long since Ive had to buy the stuff. It makes me a little nervous switching.

Thanks

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The original dow flakes are almost impossible to find. Trust me i searched for a long time when i went down the DIY route. Scouring SDS's of EVERYTHING!
Its really hit and miss for finding stuff without additives in it now days.

The best thing i did find locally was fragrence free damprid refills from home depot/lowes. It comes in like a 2lb bag and isnt crazy expensive.

But, you might be looking at the wrong product because a large 7lb bag of USP grade calcium chloride from BRS is only $39.99.
I use all brs additives now besides magnesium sulfate in my mag mix (usp grade from walmart is $1/lb)
The small amount of extra cost is waaaaay worth the peace of mind.

Genetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up something that looks promising at the local Ace. Data sheet shows 94-97% calcium chloride, 2-3% KCl. Won’t know for sure until I start using this next month.

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prestone Driveway Heat is supposed to be a good source and available at Walmart.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prestone Driveway Heat is supposed to be a good source and available at Walmart.
I stopped doing diy 2 parts with non usp ingredients as i like knowing exactly whats in my materials. I found too much of this in the sds.
I used prestone driveway heat and it mixes a gross tint of yellow and had quite a bit of undissolved sediment on the bottom that looked like dirt, whereas all my usp ingredients come out clear.

Screenshot_20230113_092847_Brave.jpg

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked this up. Haven't opened the bag yet so I can't comment on how clear it mixes but it's food grade and 94-97% pure.

OP
OP
Greenstarfish03

Greenstarfish03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this different from the original dow flakes that Randy recommended?

1674069091252.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230118_140953_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230118_140953_Chrome.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 19
OP
OP
Greenstarfish03

Greenstarfish03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used BRS, Dow Flake and Peladow and never noticed any difference in any of them from a positive or negative standpoint.

This is since 2008 on my dominant Acro systems.
What are you currently using @Big E . I only ask bc I can't find what I was using for the last many years anymore.

OP
OP
Greenstarfish03

Greenstarfish03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked this up. Haven't opened the bag yet so I can't comment on how clear it mixes but it's food grade and 94-97% pure.
This seems like a possible good choice. It's not dow flakes cheap but 50lbs may be enough for rhe rest of my reefing life for 50 bucks. @DrMMI will you met me know how it looks after you mix a batch up?

OP
OP
Greenstarfish03

Greenstarfish03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything call driveway heat makes me qweezy but I've heard of amny people using it. I was hoping there was something a little cleaner I could buy in bulk now.

OP
OP
Greenstarfish03

Greenstarfish03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The original dow flakes are almost impossible to find. Trust me i searched for a long time when i went down the DIY route. Scouring SDS's of EVERYTHING!
Its really hit and miss for finding stuff without additives in it now days.

The best thing i did find locally was fragrence free damprid refills from home depot/lowes. It comes in like a 2lb bag and isnt crazy expensive.

But, you might be looking at the wrong product because a large 7lb bag of USP grade calcium chloride from BRS is only $39.99.
I use all brs additives now besides magnesium sulfate in my mag mix (usp grade from walmart is $1/lb)
The small amount of extra cost is waaaaay worth the peace of mind.

This is the same stuff I looked at. A 7lb bag makes a little more rhen one bucket for me. I usually make 5 gallon batches at a time. The last bag I paid $20 for a 50lb bag which lasted for years. All of my other stuff in this hobby costs enough if I can save money on a product that does the same job then I try to. I think there are other products that can be found for a lot less but you just have to be more carefull. Thanks for the input if I don't find anything else I may end up going this direction. The larger bucket at brs equivalent to what I bought last time is 199 and in sale today for 169 compared to 20.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What are you currently using @Big E . I only ask bc I can't find what I was using for the last many years anymore.

I just bought a new bag of Peladow so I'm currently using that. As long as you can get a MSDS to view that isn't deemed specifically for reefkeeping you should be ok with other brands.

Yes, shipping will kill you from some independant places. I got my Peladow through Amazon. It's 54 with free shipping for a 50# bag.

If you don't have a large tank you may want to go with a 25# bag. The main reason being it can clump up over multiple years. I suspect even a 25# bag is going to last 2-3 years.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you want to go with something at the higher end---

My friend uses the ESV concentrate and this lasts him about 2-3 years at 80mls daily. That may be a better option than BRS calcium chloride powder.

ESV has a great rep too and I think they have some trace elements added.

Last time I talked to him he said the concentrate is mixed with RO water so you get 5 gallons total I believe.

Last edited:

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is the ESV powder so it's less than BRS.

I would go with this if it was me and it would ease concern over purity for those who care.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 6.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 82 79.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.9%
Back