Snowflake Eel Lid Advice

MaeganWink

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 20, 2020
Messages
4
Reaction score
3
What state or country do you live in
Virginia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning on getting a snowflake eel, but I know they are notorious for escaping/jumping and my tank doesn't have a lid. I was planning on making my own custom lid with very narrow cutouts for wires and equipment.

For those of you that have a snowflake eel, does the lid need to be latched down? Or can it just "rest" on top of the tank? Do you have any tips on things I need to be careful of when making my lid to make sure they don't escape?

Thank you!
 
Depends on how heavy the lid is and how big the eel is. But they can push a lid open, so I would latch it just to be safe.
 
A small snowflake likely won't push through a glass lid, but if you start with a larger one, they might. A light acrylic or aluminum frame mesh lid may have to clamped down. Every crack and crevice does need to be filled with a snowflake, they seem to have a knack for finding even the smallest opening. Any wires, etc. exiting the tank needs to be very flush, they will run up such things and if the crack is big enough, they are gone. You can cover the top of an overflow with a thin piece of acrylic or rigid plastic.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 7.4%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new