Snowflake Eel Lid Advice

MaeganWink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning on getting a snowflake eel, but I know they are notorious for escaping/jumping and my tank doesn't have a lid. I was planning on making my own custom lid with very narrow cutouts for wires and equipment.

For those of you that have a snowflake eel, does the lid need to be latched down? Or can it just "rest" on top of the tank? Do you have any tips on things I need to be careful of when making my lid to make sure they don't escape?

Thank you!

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on how heavy the lid is and how big the eel is. But they can push a lid open, so I would latch it just to be safe.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A small snowflake likely won't push through a glass lid, but if you start with a larger one, they might. A light acrylic or aluminum frame mesh lid may have to clamped down. Every crack and crevice does need to be filled with a snowflake, they seem to have a knack for finding even the smallest opening. Any wires, etc. exiting the tank needs to be very flush, they will run up such things and if the crack is big enough, they are gone. You can cover the top of an overflow with a thin piece of acrylic or rigid plastic.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back