So frustrated!!!

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did everything I could this time to do my reef tank the right way, I bought the best equipment, I even used a par meter to get my lighting right.
I’ve not missed a water change and yet I’m starting to have algae issues.
Unfortunately I’m in a fallow period because in spite of everything I ended up with what I assume was velvet disease and lost all my fish.
My corals and inverts are fine but the algae is starting and I’m worried it’ll get out of control like every other time in the past I’ve had a reef tank.
First off I’m wondering if part of the problem is my rock ? I used old rocks that I’d soaked in bleach for weeks, then rinsed and soaked with prime , rinsed and soaked several more times before drying and using in my current tank.
Before giving up I’m thinking of tearing down the entire tank replacing the rock and sand with caribesea live rock and sand, going through the cycle again.
Because the tank had a disease that killed all the fish except my goby should I run bleach through the system before filling again?
I figure I have to wait several months to be sure the velvet disease is gone and I’m already seeing algae and worried it’ll become an issue again so even though it’ll cost $$ to start over maybe it’s worth it to know the disease is gone and the algae and rocks that may be the problem are gone.
I guess aside from opinions I’d like to know if my old rocks could be the cause of my constant algae issues ?
One other question, I have over a dozen corals and inverts, can I use the water from the aquarium and transfer the coral and inverts into another tank using the water that’s already been cycled to keep the coral and inverts in until the tank is cycled again.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your in the old trap of throwing money at an issue that money won't solve. More money does not solve algae issues, nor does starting over(more money).

Hard work, scrubbing rocks daily, and keeping nutrients in check is the only way to rid yourself of the algae issues.

Starting over with new dry rock and sand, is only going to lead to this again eventually anyways.

It's part of owning a reef tank and starting it all with dry man made materials. You want to mostly skip the ugly stage, buy all real live rock from people like tampa bay saltwater, or KP aquatics. Even then you'll get some sort of algae bloom.

Some algae is needed in a thriving reef tank. No algae = no life. Some people freak out over the little algae issue, which IMO is never really an issue unless it's strangling out corals.

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your in the old trap of throwing money at an issue that money won't solve. More money does not solve algae issues, nor does starting over(more money).

Hard work, scrubbing rocks daily, and keeping nutrients in check is the only way to rid yourself of the algae issues.

Starting over with new dry rock and sand, is only going to lead to this again eventually anyways.

It's part of owning a reef tank and starting it all with dry man made materials. You want to mostly skip the ugly stage, buy all real live rock from people like tampa bay saltwater, or KP aquatics. Even then you'll get some sort of algae bloom.

Some algae is needed in a thriving reef tank. No algae = no life. Some people freak out over the little algae issue, which IMO is never really an issue unless it's strangling out corals.
So if I continue to scrub the rocks and remove algae when I see it growing on a snail or rock, keep up with my water changes and hope the chaeto in my refugium begins to grow and help with my nutrients eventually it’ll resolve itself ?

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I continue to scrub the rocks and remove algae when I see it growing on a snail or rock, keep up with my water changes and hope the chaeto in my refugium begins to grow and help with my nutrients eventually it’ll resolve itself ?
Can you share a photo of your specific algae?

Like mentioned above, it would be easier for others to help if there was a visual.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trust me, I was in the same place 10 years back.

The reason for all the algae in new tanks.....

You have all that pristine white rock with 0 life on it. Prime breeding ground for algae. Until that pristine rock surface is covered in biofilm, coralline, or life in general, algae will take hold. It has nothing to out compete it.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GHA out comepetes the chaeto for nutrients. Chaeto is a slow grower and slow at uptaking nutrients. GHA on the other hand is excellent at uptaking nutrients, even ammonia before anything else gets a chance to process it.

One reason we try hard to encourage growth of GHA to grow on a turf scrubber. Simply because it grows easily, in almost any conditions, and is great at up taking nutrients.

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you share a photo of your specific algae?

Like mentioned above, it would be easier for others to help if there was a visual.
So far it’s just turned all the rocks green, I removed the algae that was on the snails and conch, that algae was like a very thin leaf of lettuce.
I’ll take some pictures later today. I’m just worried because in the past it’s gotten out of control and I’m trying to avoid that happening

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
W
GHA out comepetes the chaeto for nutrients. Chaeto is a slow grower and slow at uptaking nutrients. GHA on the other hand is excellent at uptaking nutrients, even ammonia before anything else gets a chance to process it.

One reason we try hard to encourage growth of GHA to grow on a turf scrubber. Simply because it grows easily, in almost any conditions, and is great at up taking nutrients.
What is a turf scrubber and where does it go ?

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo what you need is.... p a t i e n c e
Speaking for myself I was in the same spot.. I couldnt wait to put in some corals and fish and all that stuff.. I was sure my uglies are done and im about to start that fancy stocking thing.

Well, I just used to have a phase of GHA in my tank even on the backwall..
I could get rid of it now by dosing Live Phytoplankton and lowering my light intensity (0% whites and only blues at 15%)

I also added some turbo snails and just w a i t e d..

Now I can say the GHA is gone and everything looks good.

All it needs is weekly water changes, cleaning with a toothbrush and maybe a siphon hose and really just patience.
Plus a good cleaning crew :)

R0L0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because I’m in a fallow period I purchased several new corals during the recent sales, will they help with the algae or not really make a difference
The corals will probably not help. They could take some nutrients out of the water which would some what decrease the grow of algae. Just make sure you pay attention to the algae near the corals, you dont want them to end up getting strangled by the algae.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing can solve your issues, but hard work and time.

Your going through new reef uglies. It will resolve itself with time.

Time = maturity. Maturity = no algae.
Dog Reaction GIF by TikiIndia

I've been reefing since 2007. The best way to control algae is by controlling its food source, nitrates and more importantly phosphates..

You control the amount of avail no3 and po4 most effectively thru growing beneficial bacteria....continual growing, everday. Thats done thru carbon dosing

Many forms of carbon dosing; vodka, vinegar, sugar, vitaminC, nopox.

My weapon of choice is Tropic Marins Bacto-Balance

You need to watch this:

Last edited:

dk2nt9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is a turf scrubber and where does it go ?
Search for "reef tank algae scrubber" to see what it is, how to use it, and what version of it would be more useful to you. One of the examples for a big tank with sump, there are also HOB and mounted on the glass nano versions.

For how to deal with hair algae, see Tidal Gardens videos on YouTube about ugly stage of the reef tank and what they did about it.

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've been reefing since 2007. The best way to control algae is by controlling it food source, nitrates and more importantly phosphates..

You control the amount of avail no3 and po4 most effectively thru growing beneficial bacteria.... thats done thru carbon dosing

Many forms of carbon dosing; vodka, vinegar, sugar, vitaminC, nopox. My weapon of choice is Tropic Marins Bacto-Balance

You need to watch this:

Thank you
I just worried it was something in my rocks that caused it to return.
I know all the fish dying messed with my water parameters pretty bad, I’ve been doing 15-20% water changes and using a brush on the rocks as well as removing any algae I can. I’ll watch the video

Intense37754

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I did everything I could this time to do my reef tank the right way, I bought the best equipment, I even used a par meter to get my lighting right.
I’ve not missed a water change and yet I’m starting to have algae issues.
Unfortunately I’m in a fallow period because in spite of everything I ended up with what I assume was velvet disease and lost all my fish.
My corals and inverts are fine but the algae is starting and I’m worried it’ll get out of control like every other time in the past I’ve had a reef tank.
First off I’m wondering if part of the problem is my rock ? I used old rocks that I’d soaked in bleach for weeks, then rinsed and soaked with prime , rinsed and soaked several more times before drying and using in my current tank.
Before giving up I’m thinking of tearing down the entire tank replacing the rock and sand with caribesea live rock and sand, going through the cycle again.
Because the tank had a disease that killed all the fish except my goby should I run bleach through the system before filling again?
I figure I have to wait several months to be sure the velvet disease is gone and I’m already seeing algae and worried it’ll become an issue again so even though it’ll cost $$ to start over maybe it’s worth it to know the disease is gone and the algae and rocks that may be the problem are gone.
I guess aside from opinions I’d like to know if my old rocks could be the cause of my constant algae issues ?
One other question, I have over a dozen corals and inverts, can I use the water from the aquarium and transfer the coral and inverts into another tank using the water that’s already been cycled to keep the coral and inverts in until the tank is cycled again.

Yes, get rid of the sand and rock, not for the algae but due to the parasites.
Place your inverts and corals in a sterile tank and run a temp around 81 degrees for 2wks while bleaching your tank and equipment then allowing to dry, dirty water is not worth the minuscule bacteria in the water and Dr Tim keeps reinforcing this in all his presentations and says to use freshly mixed saltwater. Add your sand and rock, fill tank with freshly mixed water, add 1/2 the amount of whichever bacteria you prefer (One and only, Turbostart, Fritz9) a couple of hardy fish that have been properly quarantined, then add other 1/2 of bacteria 24hrs later.
Within a few days to a week your tank could be running again with no parasites
No inverts or corals but a couple fish while your inverts and corals are going through quarantine

Tank is new and can figure out how to control algae once it’s been running

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've been reefing since 2007. The best way to control algae is by controlling its food source, nitrates and more importantly phosphates..

You control the amount of avail no3 and po4 most effectively thru growing beneficial bacteria....continual growing, everday. Thats done thru carbon dosing

Many forms of carbon dosing; vodka, vinegar, sugar, vitaminC, nopox.

My weapon of choice is Tropic Marins Bacto-Balance

You need to watch this:

Typical trap new reefers fall into. Algae growth, limit nutrients, heck even drive them to 0, then get dino's. Treat for dino's by upping nutrients, to get algae again. Never ending cycle and the cause of 99% of new reefers to quit.

You can't throw miracle potions at algae, they will just come back when the miracle potion is used up.

Ask me how I know.... Been there, done that many times over.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typical trap new reefers fall into. Algae growth, limit nutrients, heck even drive them to 0, then get dino's. Treat for dino's by upping nutrients, to get algae again. Never ending cycle and cause 99% of new reefers to quit.

You can't throw miracle potions at algae, they will just come back when the miracle potion is used up.

Ask me how I know.... Been there, done that many times over.
Who said anything about driving no3 and po4 to 0???

I certainly didn't...

Missing the point of CONTROLLING no3 to po4 to acceptable beneficial ranges for corals.... while.... starving out nuisance algae. It's a balancing act that isn't hard once you have things in balance.

Overnight solutions don't exist.. Selective carbon dosing takes about 6weeks to pull off with proper dosing and daily testing until you hit that sweet range.

Once there its relatively easy to maintain unless you start up ignorant practices again.

The key concepts:
> proper husbandry skills and knowledge; knowing when to react, how to react and not to overreact
> managing major/minor elements thru WCs or dosing
> managing no3 and po4 thru cultivating beneficial bacteria thru carbon dosing, or other methods like a refugium

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back