So I bought a harlequin shrimp...

Discussion in 'General Invert Forum' started by Vahanyos, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Vahanyos

Vahanyos Well-Known Member

Impulse buy. He looked so dang cool!

Now I'm reading they require a special diet of only starfish. Chocolate chip to me exact...

I have a reef tank and no sump or anything ... doubt I'll be able to keep a cc starfish without it causing me a headache.

Should I take this little guy back?

Anyone with personal experience of them eating anything besides starfish?

Tags:
  2. ebushrow

ebushrow Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

There diet consists only of the tube feet of starfish.....unless you have an asternia starfish problem, it's not gonna be easy in a reef tank....as with everything, if you want it, you are gonna have to put in the time for it.....this one being a large commitment IMO

3. Lb71

Lb71 Member

Your starfish won't stand a chance to eat anything in your tank. As soon as you drop a starfish in your tank the shrimp will be trying to wrestle it on to its back. After its on its back the shrimp will leisurely eat it.

4. ebushrow

ebushrow Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

It's till gonna make it into the rock work then get found by the shrimp.....an then the uneaten pieces are going to be an issue with nutrients....

Vahanyos likes this.
  5. Vahanyos

Will they eat lincktia star fish? I know I'm not spelling it right... but the small blue and red ones?

6. Vahanyos

I was thinking of just throwing 1 or two of those in there every month or so - so the poor guy doesn't starve out.

What are your thoughts of putting asterina stars in my tank? I know I have a small population somewhere because about a week ago I saw one on my glass (just one) and took him out

7. JMM744

JMM744 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

I put a few of the little guys in and the Harliqen makes quick work of them. Might need a bid population of them to keep one satisfied. Time will tell.

8. c.poindexter

c.poindexter Well-Known Member

Harlquins are awesome for the tank, but they will devour some starfish. They are neat to watch. Best of luck.

Vahanyos likes this.
  9. Vahanyos

Little linckia starfish or asterina?

10. JMM744

Asterina.

11. JMM744

Hope this works. Never tried posting on utube. I had just put the asterina in and he was looking for it. Least I think he was. He got it right after I stopped recording. By the way, my generator provides that background noise. It was doing it's weekly maintenance.

12. wkscott

wkscott Well-Known Member

They will eat just about any sea star. Linkias, brittle stars, serpent stars.

Best Fish-Jake likes this.
  13. Best Fish-Jake

Best Fish-Jake Well-Known Member

I would take him back if I was you... you need to do more research before you pick something up like that.. feeding Linkias is going to get costly.. you'll want the shrimp to eat at least every 2 weeks. You could always buy a couple chocolate chip stars, execute them, freeze them, and feed small chunks of its leg weekly

14. Vahanyos

I really would hate to take him back. I'm up for the challenge. I think I'm okay with throwing a linkia in there every other week or so... I'd have to see how much he'll eat. I wouldn't want the starfish to rot or anything.

You think I'll be fine freezing the cc star like that? I've been reading about rotting or infection once they die, even when frozen :?

15. Best Fish-Jake

Take a sterile blade, and humanely put the star down, chop legs into feedable chunks, place into a ziplock bag with minimal air, freeze, thaw out 1 chunk every 1/2 weeks (depending on how the shrimp is behaving.. a lot of harlequins will let you know when they're hungry) they won't rot while frozen, and as long as the blade you are using is sterile, there's next to 0 chance of infection

Vahanyos likes this.
  16. Vahanyos

Awesome. Really useful information bud thank you.

What's their behavior like when they're hungry? He's been very mellow just staying put in one place. He'll move around every so often, he's in a corner on the back wall hanging off some sponges right now lol

17. Best Fish-Jake

No problem. from my experience, a lot of harlequins will roam a bit more when they're hungry vs after they just ate.. some do behave differently, you'll just have to get to know your own shrimp Definetly do some research before impulse buying, lol

Vahanyos likes this.
  18. Vahanyos

Lol after my tank got a little seasoned it's time I experiment, it's really a hobby for me so I'm up for some good old trial and error

Best Fish-Jake likes this.
  19. wkscott

wkscott Well-Known Member

The reasons chocolate chip stars are recommended are price and availability. Most LFSs carry cc stars for under $10. Not all stores carry linkias and if the do, they are usually around $20. Also cc stars are generally much bigger and fatter so you get more bang for your buck.

Vahanyos likes this.
  20. Jk120

Jk120 Active Member

I have 2 bittle stars with my Harlequin for last 3 month's.. but a CC star last about 1 hr before harlequins get it. They do not eat all types of star's