So..... I got this wrasse.....

Firemanreefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a red head fairy wrasse that's been in QT for about 2 weeks now. He's been through prazipro twice and did great. He's done 2 TTM as well. I'm just watching him now and plan to move him in 4 to 6 weeks into my display. My question is..... How do I get him to eat pellets? He eats live foods, brine shrimp, amphipods, ECT. And he eats frozen food but won't touch pellets of any kind. I've tried several. I would like him to eat pellets as I work 24 to 48 hours straight sometimes. My display is auto fed but he is not. I have my wife feeding him but her patience is growing thin having to catch the brine, rinse them, then feed him. Any ideas would be helpful.

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since its still in QT, try feeding only pellets for a few days, cleaning out any uneaten food within the hour. After a day or 2, he may get the idea...

Technewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cleaner wrasse and anthias while in QT never ate pellets or flakes. Once in the display, they will see other fishes going after pellets and flakes and they will eventually eat them. They just need competition for food. Took mine about 2 weeks to eat pellets in DT.

dodgerblew

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought these were tough fish to keep so sounds like you're way ahead of the game. Since it's eating pods then there's a food source whether you're there or not so my thoughts are that if it isn't eating what your auto feeder is dropping it'll find food until it does eat pellets or you're home to supplement.

OP
OP
Firemanreefkeeper

Firemanreefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought these were tough fish to keep so sounds like you're way ahead of the game. Since it's eating pods then there's a food source whether you're there or not so my thoughts are that if it isn't eating what your auto feeder is dropping it'll find food until it does eat pellets or you're home to supplement.
Right now he's in QT and it has no food source but me or my wife. That's the problem, she's getting annoyed with feeding him while I'm at work. It would be easy if she could put a pinch of pellets in there and call it a day. She either has to thaw out frozen brine then rinse it after it soaks in vitamins or catch the live brine from the grow out tank. Those have to be rinsed too since that water is pretty gross.

dodgerblew

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your qt is complete in respect to disease and now you are just visually watching the fish perhaps it can be moved into dt sooner. I really respect your precautionary approach

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mix your up a container of frozen brine maybe Lrs reef frenzy. I'b be surprised if the fish turned it's nose to the "reef blend " All your Lady needs to do is put a tiny spoon's worth twice a day & call it a day. I assume your 48 on 48 off? On the two days your off you can do the live brine .

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I order small 1oz soufflé cups and and lids for when i am not home. Pre-portion a few days of frozen food in the fridge. all she has do is dump in a cup and throw it away.

OP
OP
Firemanreefkeeper

Firemanreefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'll try doing the pre made cups while I'm gone then feed him pellets while I'm home. I don't want him to go hungry as I'm trying to fatten him up but he's got to learn some time.

OP
OP
Firemanreefkeeper

Firemanreefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20181011_163454.jpg
@ndrwater My wife says thanks for your idea. After 2 days of pellets only one finally hit him in the face and he took a bite. He hasn't stopped eating them since.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back