so just cycled my tank and . . .

  • Thread starter Thread starter Dave1993
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Could be a lot of die off maybe from the live rock going into a sterile water? Idk seems a little weird… I have around 100 right now and my corals are fine and loving it! I can’t get them down with chaeto or carbon dosing… water changes don’t budge them either.. my system was purchased second hand and is 10 years old but was a fowlr so it was heavily fed and never really maintained for corals.. I think the rocks bound it up pretty good since the sand bed is only 1/2” deep at best.
well the calc says if i do 3 75% water changes it should bring the nitrate down to 15ppm so ill do that
 
well the calc says if i do 3 75% water changes it should bring the nitrate down to 15ppm so ill do that
It’s worth a shot.. but if they come right back you gotta find the source.. I’m guessing rock myself it’s gotta be mine.. I got rid of the nitrate factory that came with the tank.. overflow stuffed with bio balls hundreds of them! Sump with 6 layers of filter floss that was prolly changed once a year lol and a fuge loaded with miracle mud.. got rid of all that and got a appropriate sized skimmer some chateo and been carbon dosing with water changes and got them down to about 80 now.. was at 200 when I got it 2 months ago.
 
So found out why my nitrates are so high my nitrite is 4ppm (off the chart) which is strange cause before the water change it was 0.5 ( tests have a hard time reading 0 i guess) i have added no ammonia since it was reading 0.5 only thing i have in the tank is 1 snail that is going to WORK on the rocks
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new