OP
Dave1993

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be a lot of die off maybe from the live rock going into a sterile water? Idk seems a little weird… I have around 100 right now and my corals are fine and loving it! I can’t get them down with chaeto or carbon dosing… water changes don’t budge them either.. my system was purchased second hand and is 10 years old but was a fowlr so it was heavily fed and never really maintained for corals.. I think the rocks bound it up pretty good since the sand bed is only 1/2” deep at best.
well the calc says if i do 3 75% water changes it should bring the nitrate down to 15ppm so ill do that

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well the calc says if i do 3 75% water changes it should bring the nitrate down to 15ppm so ill do that
It’s worth a shot.. but if they come right back you gotta find the source.. I’m guessing rock myself it’s gotta be mine.. I got rid of the nitrate factory that came with the tank.. overflow stuffed with bio balls hundreds of them! Sump with 6 layers of filter floss that was prolly changed once a year lol and a fuge loaded with miracle mud.. got rid of all that and got a appropriate sized skimmer some chateo and been carbon dosing with water changes and got them down to about 80 now.. was at 200 when I got it 2 months ago.

OP
OP
Dave1993

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So found out why my nitrates are so high my nitrite is 4ppm (off the chart) which is strange cause before the water change it was 0.5 ( tests have a hard time reading 0 i guess) i have added no ammonia since it was reading 0.5 only thing i have in the tank is 1 snail that is going to WORK on the rocks

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 56 24.8%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 59 26.1%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 54 23.9%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 53 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back