So one of the most effective ways to quiet a durso standpipe is...

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So is my best option to drill a bigger hole on my durso standpipes. Right now the holes are smaller than an airline tubing. How large should I go. Any other options?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Following. I have the same question.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Durso's can be "noisy" and will have some "noise" as water and air mix as water travels down to the sump. The amount of tolerable "noise" is subjective and varies between reef keepers.

With that said, standard durso's height in the overflow box must be determined by the constant water level in the overflow box while the system is running. The water level in the overflow box should be somewhere mid point on the overflow box weir (teeth). Not too high as this will causes water and air to "suck" at the pipe end. To low and the incoming air won't be enough and a temporary siphon will happen.

This is the starting pointing of setting the durso stand pipe height. If the water level in the overflow box is lower than the weir, water will "splash" as it falls into the box. This can be a source of "noise". Set your initial incoming flow into the DT by this.

Now you can set the durso stand pipe height. The curved end with the air hole needs to be out of the water half way, with the pipe end submerged.

If the return pump's flow into the DT is too great, the durso may not be able to supply enough air to mix with the water traveling down the pipe creating a temporary siphon. This condition causes the "toilet" flushing sound. (Temporary siphon) Increasing the air hole diameter may help, but let's look at the drain pipe below the tank.......

Drain pipes from the DT to the sump need to be as vertical as possible. All the way down! If you must travel horizontal over to the sump, make sure you tilt the run slightly down and avoid any 90 degree elbows if possible. The reason is air gets trapped temporarily in the pipe with the water and can also cause the "toilet" sound.

Drain exits at the sump need to be no more than an 1/2"-1" below the sump water line. More than that can cause some back pressure in the drain, thus causing a temporary siphon and the "toilet" flushing sound. Water/air mix exiting the drain can cause noise. This can be reduced by use of filter socks or a "bubble box".

If all of this has been done and it still makes "toilet" flushing sound, reduce the return pump flow to the DT till the sound is gone.

Hope this helps, but remember durso's are never completely quite.

Last edited:

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drilled tiny holes in the top of mine till it quit. I think i put 5 extra holes on top. But i used the smallest drill bit i had.

This is exactly what I do and it's the way. The way in the over flow is just below the teeth and this keeps splashing down. The hole at the top lets in air. I also use a larger size PVC in the overflow than the bulk head and this slows down the water. My durso is nearly silent.

DSmithZ28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, but not everyone can do that.
I disagree. It's very easy to do and does not cost a lot of money. For the advantage of added safety with an emergency drain and tuneability of a gates valve I think this should be discussed and more often suggested. Running a return line over the top is very easy.

gashunk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Durso I drilled the top of it just big enough for a airline to go thru and I'm running a vectra m1 and I couldn't have it at full speed or else it would go siphon and was loud then one day I added a little airline in it about 2*in if that then I was able to turn the pump to Max and it wouldn't go pass the airline thus making me the happiest man alive

CPL376

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the airline down the standpipe just like gashunk stated. It's worked wonders

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drilled holes in the cap the size of r/o tubing. I cut several lengths of r/0 tubing and stuck it into the holes. The tubing acts as a muffler of sorts and helped a ton on quieting my durso down.

riche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what better multiple holes or a piece of air line tubing?

If airline tubing is the answer how long of a piece

Also if going with a herbie style, does anyone have a picture showing this?

Picking up a brand new tank tomorrow and it comes with a durso overflow

ktisdale22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is exactly what I do and it's the way. The way in the over flow is just below the teeth and this keeps splashing down. The hole at the top lets in air. I also use a larger size PVC in the overflow than the bulk head and this slows down the water. My durso is nearly silent.
So drilled additional small holes in the durso drain Pipe and there is next to no flushing... However it sounds like someone needs a refill but keeps slurping through a straw. If I could quite that down I would be a happy man. Please help!

cjd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So drilled additional small holes in the durso drain Pipe and there is next to no flushing... However it sounds like someone needs a refill but keeps slurping through a straw. If I could quite that down I would be a happy man. Please help!
How long is the tubing sticking out of the durso? Make sure its just not a little nub sticking out . I usually have it long enough to slide in-between the teeth on my weir . The groves hold it in place and the longer tube eliminates the straw slurping sound.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, but not everyone can do that.

Why not?

I bought a 60g cube, built in corner-flo system, came with Durso style plumbing.

Tank was sitting in my living room, about 6 feet from where I sit to watch TV. I've got tinnitus, and extraneous noises really bother me. I tried adjusting the air vent size, running various length and diameter air tubes to various places in the down tube, installed a 'reverse durso' at the drain end, where it flows into the sump... worked on that thing for weeks, tried everything I could come up with. Never got it 'quiet enough' for me.

Installed a gate valve on the drain line, turned the existing return line into a trickle drain, and ran a new over the top return.

Silence.

Converting a Durso to a Herbie is simple, cheap, and EFFECTIVE method for silencing a noisy overflow.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Plumbing restrictions, horizontal drain runs, 90 degree elbows, distance from DT to sump.......etc.

Not everyone can get their plumbing to "syphon" and not everyone's sump is directly under their DT.

ktisdale22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long is the tubing sticking out of the durso? Make sure its just not a little nub sticking out . I usually have it long enough to slide in-between the teeth on my weir . The groves hold it in place and the longer tube eliminates the straw slurping sound.
Currently it is a nub. So longer hose, got it. How far do you push the tubing into the durso? I feel like if I push it down to far it makes the water level in my dual overflows fluctuate. It could be my imagination. I have been adjusting and messing with the dang durso's for a month

DSmithZ28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I converted my Durso Marineland 93 cube to Herbie and never looked back. Check out my YT channel or build thread here for how I did it. Easy. Make sure you buy a GOOD gates valve. It will help fine tune things. That being said I know MANY people that use a ball valve without issue. Either way... Herbie man!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back