So started with sps I have questions?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Bravoman
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Bravoman

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 28, 2021
Messages
98
Reaction score
94
Location
rialto
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My concern is with phos and nitrates. I’ve been feeding twice a day seaweed strip in the morning and evenings with a mix of coral frenzy ,misis shrimp ,ad+ and a clam every 3-4days. In a 40 gallon tank. My phos and nitrates are at undetectable levels it’s been like this for the pasts 18 months. What could be stripping the nutrients away. I have a little skimmer that came with this all in one tank and it’s on for about 6hrs of the day. Will this be fine for sps ? Thank has been stable with other parameters.
Alk 9.2
Mag 1425
Cal 430
5 gallon water change once every 3 weeks

IMG_2903.jpeg IMG_2902.jpeg IMG_2901.jpeg
 
Your LPS and Clam are doing beautifully. I would definitely proceed with a cheaper hardy SPS like Montipora.
I do have a cheap sps in the tank for 1 months now and incrusting on the rock and getting it’s color back
 
They are clove polyps on back wall. But is it a bad thing If everything is growing fine ?
No, not at all, they just take up nutrients and that's probably why you have a hard time keeping them up. Some people use them in their sumps for that purpose.
 
My concern is with phos and nitrates. I’ve been feeding twice a day seaweed strip in the morning and evenings with a mix of coral frenzy ,misis shrimp ,ad+ and a clam every 3-4days. In a 40 gallon tank. My phos and nitrates are at undetectable levels it’s been like this for the pasts 18 months. What could be stripping the nutrients away. I have a little skimmer that came with this all in one tank and it’s on for about 6hrs of the day. Will this be fine for sps ? Thank has been stable with other parameters.
Alk 9.2
Mag 1425
Cal 430
5 gallon water change once every 3 weeks

IMG_2903.jpeg IMG_2902.jpeg IMG_2901.jpeg
Get a montipora and try it out. You will need to dose alkalinity and calcium if you are not already.
 
18 months and things are doing well, I would go for it. High input and low residual is the way of the ocean. The people whose corals suffer with that, don't feed enough..
 
18 months and things are doing well, I would go for it. High input and low residual is the way of the ocean. The people whose corals suffer with that, don't feed enough..
Yeah thanks going all in !!!
Picked up Walt Disney, homewrecker and rainbow splice. Wish me luck.
 
so just confirmed with icp test by ATI po4 and nitrates are low just scared to adjust if my tank is looking ok.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3237.png
    IMG_3237.png
    156.5 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3238.png
    IMG_3238.png
    238.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_3239.png
    IMG_3239.png
    233.7 KB · Views: 47
Unrelated, but I’d suggest moving your maxima to the top of your rock work, it’s getting shaded out by your acans. They need more light than acropora.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new