So, you think you want to keep Xenia...

Bowin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet this tank would look good if you mixed in some blue xenia in spots. Just an idea. After showing this to my wife she gave permission to setup another tank. Maybe I'll try mixing in some blue myself.

OP
OP
Trex

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What levels do you keep your water parameters at? Xenia has always been a one of my favorite corals. Over the years I used to grow it like crazy like you. Or it would die with in a few days. What is the magic formula to get this stuff to grow like you have it growing?

Should be at normal reef levels --- but I will have to retest, been a long time since I have tested that tank.

Not sure about a magic formula, I usually do week 5 gallon water changes, but haven't done one in about a month now --- had shoulder surgery which has prevented me from doing much work on any of the tanks. Overall, things look the same, though there is more algae on the glass, and the anemone looks slightly ticked off. I am hoping to be able to do a water change in the next week or so --- see the surgeon on Thursday for a follow up.

Ahgee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, even though I knew better, I allowed the girlfriend to talk me into putting Xenia into my 65.

I did this in the past, and already knew what was going to happen (( same reason I dislike mushrooms ))....

This is from 11 months ago,

65FTS.jpg

65FTSside1.jpg

And now from the other day (( mind you, I keep the right side's side glass free of them, and part of the left side's side near the MP10 ))

Side,

FTSside12_9_12.jpg

Front,

FTS12_9_12.jpg

Slight close up of the front,

FTS112_9_12.jpg

With flash,

FTS212_9_12.jpg

And for the heck of it, a close up of my golden lawnmower blenny,

blenny.jpg
I love that he has the expression of How I imagine you feel about the hostile takeover
surprised-monkey.jpg

michellejy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this thread is old, but as someone who has never managed to have a tank filled with ANY type of coral, I love it. :D

rage1199

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do not have other soft coral you like. Just dose Safe Guard Fenbendazole or Amazon calls it Fish Fenbendazole. Remove the sea stars and snails as they will die with the xanias, colts, GSP, and almost anything in those family.

OP
OP
Trex

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still have that tank (( well sort of )), but it is currently empty in the basement of our new house. Once we are fully settled in I will set it up again.
I did manage to keep a few stalks of it in a 75 that is holding the fish that I kept after we sold the old place. That tank is set up at my mother-in-laws, which is where we lived while in between places.
That tank will be set up in the office (( the wife works from home )), and she still loves the stuff, so I will put it back in that tank. Though I will be better about letting it get out of control.

Neptune1707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had the same problem but with Green Starburst Polyps in my office 24g tank....I was cutting frags to give to local sushi restaurant for their display tank in exchange for free sushi pieces LOL. My master plan all came crashing down when the office lost power for an entire weekend....my tank crashed hard...and STUNK!!!! had to start over completely. Maybe a good thing....except no more free sushi LOL

Lowstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that happened to me I'd cry. Too much of a good thing. I was thinking of keeping them in my region though for nutrient control

Reefster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I see is Money....there is always someone that wants Xenia's. It's funny, because I can never get mine to grow at all. I don't know why.

LEdwards

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love xenia, but my husband won't let me have it for the same reason! ;) Too bad it's not easier to keep down to a reasonable amount. :confused:

MermaidTail

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man! This is my future if I don't get my Xenia under control. It's growing faster than weeds in an unkept yard!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 171 67.6%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back