So you're thinking of quitting the hobby...

Are you considering quitting the hobby? READ ME!

• Yes

Votes: 63 10.6%
  • No

Votes: 481 80.6%
  • Maybe

Votes: 53 8.9%

• Total voters

baadbay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always been aquarium hobbyist been with ups and downs of the hobby after my wife got sick and we had to move due to med bills I've sold most of my aquariums but kept a few to set back up but looking at prices of stuff now vs when I first started I just can't afford to set back up I've got rock still cooking but after looking a prices and all the bashing if you don't have apex and eco-tech this hobby doesn't look as fun anymore and due to I live in Cali prices are even higher club are disappearing due to facebook and I live in a smaller town with only Petco and I other lfs that sell reef stuff it makes it hard to find any used equipment without taking a chance of been scammed I love the reef hobby but 4 now I think it just going to be freshwater planted

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am finding that patience is giving me the upper hand.. ME and PATIENCE are what you call an oxymoron.. But, I am starting to win. Algea, coral death as in easy LPS, fish death, Aptasia, Cyano, Dinos, been doing it all and have been back at this for under a year. Am now starting a reef build to replace what I am going to take down. Have 4 tanks now will have 4 or 5 when done. I am not giving up.. Crap occurs and I know it does. I know it does with a reef. There are very few of us who have had pure success without suffering from one thing or another or even multiple problems consecutively and concurrently. Keep at it, dont knee jerk. Disease is one of the few things you can have trouble with in particular doing knee jerk. Have something ready to go for QT on the side at least.. An extra heater, a big sponge in the sump waiting and an air pump. Even if it is sitting dry, use the diseased water from your DT as you have to treat the fish coming out of it anyway. Dont need to have new water so use it for a water change on the QT to replace what you pull out of it. Algea and Cyano/Dino are lighting/nutrient problems.. those are fixable with patience and knowing what your chemistry is doing. I DONT recommend liquid fixes like carbon dosing to solve algea by the way.. learned the hard way how even the smallest OD can cause major havoc. Same with Iodide/iodine dosing.

SO my recommendation if you are thinking of quitting is slow down.. Think about what effects both good and bad.. and I stress the bad... the thing you are about to try might do. step back.. Be prepared for the worst. But keep on chugging/trying/dreaming and you may surprise yourself.

leedsrhinojohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive kept fo/fowlr and predator tanks for more years I can remember and quit the hobby as I had a tank crash that killed all my fish (my fault), after a bit I decided to come back to the hobby but try my hand at the reef side of things and without this and other forums then I probably wouldn't have come back to the hobby so my advice is whatever you're going through don't give up, just ask

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never should have started with this hobby to be honest. It’s not that I don’t like it, I love it.

I thought I could go at this on a cheap budget. I was wrong. I don’t have the money for good lights or a decent tank. My HOB overflows are both pretty bad. My tank is too tall and the stand isn’t set up for a sump, which I am using a wet dry kinda modified. Or I was. Until I flooded the office and ruined the stand. Now I have to tear it down to move it and hope the three fish will be ok in a 29 gallon until I can find a commission to get a better setup. Or just rehome everyone and save them from being in a small setup.

In freshwater I could really manage such a thing. No problem, just put everyone in a tote for now. But I don’t think marine life would be happy in a tote for who knows how long.
I get it. We have all been there. There is a really good video on budget reefing by Mark Calahan that breaks down the cost of a budget tank. Pretty cool video. Short but sweet.

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now my current hurdle is successful QT of fish. It's not making me want to quit but it's making my second tank look awfully useless right now.

My first round of QT ended with 2 deaths
My second (current) round has already resulted in 1 death.

I have followed all the procedures outlines within the forums. My quality is perfect. It might just be luck idk.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1st tank = zero problems
2nd tank had a fight with dinos that I actually won!
3rd and 4th (both my current tanks) a Display and a Nano, both have algae/just dirty glass in general. It just covers the glass so quickly

The nano is improving and is just a nem tank, so the dirty tank is fine, as the nems are happy

The display tank was JUST setup, and I have an Algae scrubber that isn’t even setup yet, and my skimmer is constantly overflowing because..... well, it’s a new tank, so I don’t know..... breaking in.

I wouldn’t quit, but it is just a reminder of the work involved, and money.... lots of money

N2950H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, the reason I quit 12 years ago was a cross country move. I tend to travel a lot for work so I put off getting back into it until very recently after convincing myself I can automate the tank while I'm gone. I'm fully back into it now, with a tank much nicer than I ever had before, but I still have concerns about what I'll do when I travel.

The worst part about it is I will often times go on the road thinking it's 3 or 4 days, but that then turns into a week or more. In one extreme case, I went overseas for a 5 day trip and came home 2 months later. This is the only thing that will make me throw in the towel if it gets bad enough, but I'm hoping I can find an LFS who can look over the tank while I'm gone. I could ask the girlfriend or my brother to look over it, but they have no experience with reefs and diagnosing issues over the phone is not something I want to get into the habit of doing.

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

The reason for me honestly is because my tank is almost 2 years old and doing excellent. The reason is because this is the second time I have had to move. The first time Lfs helped on my 125 and pretty much killed everything. Now that I have my 240, local normal movers won’t touch a fish tank (even dry according to three that I spoke with). My only option is to have the lfs help me move my current one at 40 an hour. Well I don’t wanna lose all my fish and coral again.
I’m still debating on throwing my fish in qt to help with stress but I get mixed responses. Some say it’s worse some say it’s better, (lol which is it?) plus honestly I love my rock scape that I have now. Yet they tell me it won’t be the same look the same get use to it. Well how does that work when a lot of them have encrusted rocks together? I’m pretty sure I can figure out (maybe) which ones are base and top. Yes it may not be exactly theeeee same but still.

Am I just gonna up and quit (probably not), but it’s frustrating when local professionals won’t answer questions. At my work they come to me because something is wrong. I can’t say I don’t know. I have to problem solve it, and keep solving problems and eventually I will have an answer.

Plus gathering enough people, resources, is like herding cats in huge field full of mice. Good luck. Not to mention (at least new place is only five min away), ((bigger bonus no hoa)). ((Down side is I have to rent till I figure out what house I want to build) then once again move my tank again.

Please tell me it’s not this big of a nightmare to move? Yes I know to start with the top rocks and separate or move any loose corals. Ones attached keep separate and etc. then I don’t know if I drain most of my water (which I’ll keep 80%; then) catch my fish and they go in a bag then a black bag etc. Then drain the rest, get the sand out into a bucket. I have no idea how to undo my plumbing (I can turn everything off but) yeah I will have to look more.

I intend to just completely drain the water in the sump and start over. Then I have to sort and undo all the pumps etc lights etc.

So in reality how likely is it to move my tank and keep all my fish and (I may lose some coral but I’d prefer not too). I have 23 days to be completely moved and I’m about to have a huge dumpster dropped off and throw things away (not fish stuff).

$40 an hour is cheap compared to my LFS, he charges $75 an hr! I have moved several times since starting the hobby in 2008. Heck, I moved from Indiana to Saskatchewan, Canada and back. My husband accepted a job assignment for 3 years in Canada. I said no way at first. But then saw it as opportunity. Even though the company moved us, I could not take the fish, corals. (Customs would not allow it) So told my husband if he wanted me to move with him he had to let me get a new tank up there. He agreed. I saw it as an opportunity to try new fish and corals, tank and equipment. Have moved a couple time more here in IN. My local fish club is great about helping each other out with moves! Yes, moving is stressful and a hassle but worth it in the end. Unless you can afford to and take this time to upgrade and sell off what you don't want to keep.

Grigs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why quit when you would only get back into it later??
I will be a reefer for the rest of my time on earth, it is one thing that will always be in my blood.
Surfing and Skydiving are the other 2.....

agreed. looked at your profile and choked a little... grew up surfing RC's and went to Satellite HS. Small world

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally get this feeling and feel the same way sometimes. I told my mom "I just cannot afford this Hobby", but I love it so much I refuse to give up. It might take me longer than some people, but I'll eventually get there. I also think you can be successful without some of the things or name brands that are pushed so hard. It's just researching and finding out what those are!
Yeah it’s not the name brand things, I know that’s not what matters.
I get it. We have all been there. There is a really good video on budget reefing by Mark Calahan that breaks down the cost of a budget tank. Pretty cool video. Short but sweet.
I’ll have to search for that, thanks.

It’s not just the money. I have fibromyalgia and it effects my hands a great deal. So this makes maintenance pretty difficult. One of my overflows won’t keep a siphon. It’s due to no bubble trap in the “sump” and that causes micro bubbles to form in the top (it’s a CPR) this causes flooding as it happens at night. So I may have to not run a skimmer. But we all know how important skimmers are.

I don’t have the budget to purchase a real sump or the ability to build one. I don’t have the cash to pay someone to build me one. I can’t find anyone local willing to even if I could afford it. I can’t find a willing body to drill a tank, even if I explain that hey breaks happen and while it sucks I won’t hold you responsible. I don’t have the hands to do so myself.

I don’t have a local store that family can drive to. I can’t drive (phobia) and the only close place, family won’t drive to. Except the store in town and they have one marine tank, no corals, no rock and usually clowns or damsels. So I have to order online. I don’t mind, if I had the budget, or a setup that works. Cheap is fine. Nonworking is not.

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sometimes think about selling it all! Those are days where nothing is going right and my tanks seem more of a chore than a pleasure. Algae problems, dino issues, equipment breaks, tank leaking, fish dying for no reason. I've been through it all. Then I take a step back and just breath and maybe have a beer. I think of why I got into the hobby to begin with and realize I would miss it too much if I gave it up! Sure so days are more challenging but I get through the problems somehow. And this site helps a lot! When things start turning around again, and they usually do, I am so glad I stuck with it! Even though my fish may be swimming around in a tank full of algae, they are still beautiful and they don't seem to mind at all.

juanrmattos

- Frag Plug Hater -
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your presence in this hobby is a great tool to stay plugged (Pun intended)... As long we have small traces of reef water in our blood there is no quitting in my book

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had I been asked this question a year ago, I'd have answered with a definite yes. Other projects, general summer distractions and cash being put into other interests left my tank feeling more like a job and a burden than anything else. The lack of interest and attention led to neglect and a few simple problems I failed to catch, which in turn led to things dying off, which just increased my 'meh' feeling. :(

A little attention to the water quality and a good glass scraping had me looking into the tank a little more each day, and reminding myself of the time and effort as well as the knowledge and experience I'd gained. Eventually I decided it was time to get rid of the old hand-me-down used tank and upgrade to something nice.

My bank account isn't happy about it, but I am. :)

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agreed. looked at your profile and choked a little... grew up surfing RC's and went to Satellite HS. Small world
Bet you don't miss it right now with this stupid storm barreling down on us...
I grew up in California surfing Jalama and Rincon my entire childhood, talk about homesick right now....

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been reefing for almost 40 years and freshwater before that. It's in my blood and all started with a goldfish won at a school carnival. I've suffered so many mistakes and set backs over the years but I could never quit unless I had a reef in my backyard that I could dive on every day. That's what my retirement (both career and hobby) will look like!

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not thinking of quitting at all but I will admit in the summer, I tend to be more focused elsewhere (golf) as I’m sure many of us are that don’t have warm weather year around.
I will also say my tank was doing great and I switched over from halides to leds last month and the tank has taken a hit. It is painful to watch but I will see it through!

Corey

Kenneth Hooper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still working on trying to get my 75Gal working right. I've put it together with a 20Gal sump/refugium and the overflow and return along with the ATO have been challenging to say the least. They shouldn't be-they just are to me.
since I have now flooded the living room 3 times in 2 weeks I have seriously considered throwing in the towel (provided I have any dry ones left). What stops me is the challenge. I can't just quit until I have solved my problem and made it work (even if it means giving up the sump and just keeping everything in the DT). I simply hate to quit until I have completed what I started out to do. Unfortunately, my bank account shares my philosophy.

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still working on trying to get my 75Gal working right. I've put it together with a 20Gal sump/refugium and the overflow and return along with the ATO have been challenging to say the least. They shouldn't be-they just are to me.
since I have now flooded the living room 3 times in 2 weeks I have seriously considered throwing in the towel (provided I have any dry ones left). What stops me is the challenge. I can't just quit until I have solved my problem and made it work (even if it means giving up the sump and just keeping everything in the DT). I simply hate to quit until I have completed what I started out to do. Unfortunately, my bank account shares my philosophy.

Set up a thread with photos and maybe a video of the plumbing issues, I'm sure a bunch of people will jump in and point out ways to improve it.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.8%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 49 25.3%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 43 22.2%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back