So you're thinking of quitting the hobby...

Are you considering quitting the hobby? READ ME!

• Yes

Votes: 63 10.6%
  • No

Votes: 481 80.6%
  • Maybe

Votes: 53 8.9%

• Total voters

chris jones 105

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never think about Quitting,
this is a challenging hobby. every day in my tank is moving towards the failure. but I accept the challenge and I'm trying to make my tank stable and stable every day.

and also avoid using plastic .... it is killing the ocean. if anyone near the ocean if u have a chance to take one plastic from the ocean, just take it. LITTLE DROP MAKE A MIGHTY OCEAN. that one plastick that u cleaned will save one animal.
I don't no this is a wright place to tell these. I'm a reef hobbyist I know how coral and animals are suffering from plastick. I have a responsibility to save the ocean. I like this challenge too.

ocean-plastic-and-turtle-quick-question.jpg
I totally agree man ,I live in Florida on the gulf coast and I'm an avid fisherman. Trash is a big problem.clean it up all the time, more peaple should. And any place is a good place to talk about it. I commend u sir....

chris jones 105

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I haven't quit but I seem to lean that way sometimes (could be just a new reefer thing), so I would call myself vulnerable. You can look at my build thread\journal if you want a lot of the details. I will say I am in a better place now however.

I think first I got hung up on one issue and that required me to focus on intangible things. It got old after a while and I started to loose interest.

The way things were trending, I was fearing that at the one year mark instead of a pretty tank with some coral, I would one half dead frag and some bare rock.

After 5 months of considerable work and attention (daily testing, weekly water changes, showroom clean tank). I never even got the uglies. Any coral I put in died after a few weeks and I was slowly loosing fish inexplicably. There was no consumption of alkalinity or any other minerals after weeks of daily testing (done a few times). Testing of MY RODI was good and my foundation elements were in the traditionally acceptable levels for what I wanted (eventually a mixed reef tank). Only a few small spots of coralline algae. I was beginning to think I was death to corals (hence my avatar)

I didn't expect a lot, just expected more than that. That made me think perhaps it takes even more than what I was giving. I was really getting burnt out with no tangible results. How could I do more ?

Now to boot Im seeing pictures of tanks at a similar age with full corals and happy fish. You know, utopias in glass. I'm sitting there looking up at empty dead looking rock and half dying corals and feeling tired. I'm reading and researching, hell Randy at BRStv was feeling like a brother I didn't have from watching all the videos (I bet he drives that black jeep).
I also got scared with all the talk about palytoxin. I have been in the hospital unable to breath it is freaking scary stuff. My kids have asthma. I worried I would hurt them with my hobby.

I had 15 year tanks in freshwater and was thinking should I just go back to that?

I bet this may sound familiar to others.

My problems took over focus from why I got a tank, and I got board, frustrated and burned out. Fortunately another member also was frustrated and posted about leaving. He got positive and negative replies (Unfortunately I think he kinda got flamed). However the posts that caught my attention reminded me to think about what I wanted to do in this hobby. What was the primary thing? Was I a builder and DIY tech, did I want a coral garden, was I a fishkeeper?

This was the answer. Revisit why I wanted this tank.

Honestly I wanted a few skunk cleaner shrimp , I didn't want to tech it out. I preferred ultra low maintenance. I really like just looking at my critters just going about what they do. I got hung up on having beginner corals in a new tank. I kind of relaxed and said I don't care about them I have what I like. I will try again in time. Now it is a silly point of pride to show an empty tank at one year. I don't think it will make the reef Tank 365 that way but hell you never know.

Funny twist is I had a cyano ourbreak due to a pump failure. After a treatment every thing perked right up (like within 24 hours). My remaining corals have visible growth for the first time. My fish are more active. Bacteria could possibly have been my problem all along. So maybe I will have something but I don't care if I don't right now.

I hope my writing this strikes a familiar cord with other who are experiencing similar results. Perhaps looking back at your goals will help.
Keep at it man takes patience, especially the first year. It's all down hill from their. Just remember stability is the key.Good luck stay with it's a awesome hobby..

Spike-Man

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been in the hobby 30 years and three years ago battled velvet and that almost broke my spirit. I enjoy large colonies in my 180. Right before a vacation my Red PPE's were looking odd, asked the person who was watching the tank to monitor and gave instructions if the situation worsened. Not the individuals fault but the trend continued and things have been brutal. I have always said when the hobby truly feels like work maybe it is time to check out.

leedsrhinojohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive just changed my vote to yes.
I wish I had never bought a ghl controller, you need a degree in computing just to connect your pc to it wirelessly, what a joke. most expensive piece of junk ive ever bought.
Its a pity you guysare in the states, youll miss out on the sale of my tank and equipment, ill stick to Discus.

Last edited:

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been fighting a crash from very high alkalinity from a WC or a series of WC’s. I use, and have used Reef Crystals. I mix to 1.023-24. After crossing off potential issues, I tested my newly mixed RC, and was surprised that the Alkalinity was 14 dKh with Hanna and Rea Sea. I, of course, contacted Instant Ocean, but their representative explained I wasn’t mixing correctly. My LFS tried to help, but I’m still waiting. I’ve called fellow reefers, and only got one response, “ that sucks ! “. Yep, it does! All of my corals started as 1” frags, and grew exponentially. I felt my tank reached maturity after 3 years. 4 1/2 yrs in, then crash. I’m fighting this crash for 6-8 months. The worst part is as corals we’re dying, I clipped, and placed the new frags throughout the tank, and they grew. Some are still growing or alive, but if I showed anyone my loses they get sick. I’ve changed this and that, but still can’t put a cause other than high alkalinity. It was always 8.0, and was using 400 ml of 2-part each day. Now, there’s very little to no change daily. I contacted Adam from Battle Corals, and got a quick response to do a ICP test. Yep, I changed the R/O media. And yes, Adam said the same, it sucks. Fighting a long-term crash is the worst. The crazy thing is, I run a local sw tank with natural unfiltered water, no corals, but lots of fish, many more than I should. I never quit anything, ever, but it’s just getting silly and ridiculous.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:

Taxus812

Destroyer of corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive just changed my vote to yes.
I wish I had never bought a ghl controller, you need a degree in computing just to connect your pc to it wirelessly, what a joke. most expensive piece of junk ive ever bought.
Its a pity you guysare in the states, youll miss out on the sale of my tank and equipment, ill stick to Discus.

This is not a dig. You are obviously frustrated (I know the feeling). Why not get rid of the controller? They are not needed. Focus on what you like and let everything else take its own course. If you like fish then say the hell with corals and enjoy your fish. Stuff like that.

David H Dennis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear every word you are saying mate. Its just so annoying when something is supposed to be so easy to use that a child can use it, when in actual fact you need a phd in computing to understand it.

I am a computer expert but I’m attracted to women who are not. It breaks my heart when I see how stressed tech things make them feel and how hard something is that’s cake for me.

I think my best advice is that if you don’t like staring at a set of controls that look like they belong to the main reactor core at Chernobyl, don’t get an automated system unless you have a tech friend who can take pleasure in walking you through it. Ruthlessly exploit him or her. Revel in the fact that he probably can’t do a water change without spilling it all on the floor ... lol. Both of you together are more powerful than yourself alone :).

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before quitting the hobby, try the worlds easiest reef-a vase that doesn't evaporate much at all and will not die from disease or invasion, it wont be taken with algae or have any other malady and what runs the system is a bubbler and a heater. low fail points

I bet 99% of startovers are hardware fail points beyond those above, and for biological reasons involving disease and algae/dinos/cyano etc

a reef vase will just run for twenty years or better producing frags nonstop while large tanks go through 1400 different challenges that whittle old ones approaching ten years down to 1% of any forum.

99% didn't make ten years due to those maladies, hardware issues, and then another huge portion beyond the reefer's control is moving or losing $ for the hobby.

but if you will go to a vase that doesn't require topoff machinery,you'll get guaranteed coral production. What you'd be leaving behind from your last venture is:
-test kits other than temp and salinity
-listening to current advice about uglies phase/whats allowed in a new reef (which doesn't leave for some, ever)
-brands of salt issues, $ issues, none of those matter to the successful pico reef. switch out salt brand every time you change water if you want, doesn't matter. corals are still going to grow fast and need pruning out/sent to other people's tanks as a contribution. no one quits if they have the $ and are doing well at coral production.

we get that, on the small scale. reliably.

-fish, clearly not for fish. they cause issues :) this is for coral production and shrimps/crabs. because the system is small you can finally control it for once vs the tank controlling you, and choosing doom in some way. nerf balls are doom to vase reefs

what you'd be signing up for is:
-weekly water changes that take 5 mins. any degree you want to run em, but weekly.
-100% of your visitors will react stronger or as strong to a vase reef they have to bend over to inspect as they will a 400 gallon reef, ask vase reef owners.
-you would finally have a reef you can control. you aren't going to wake up one day to mass fish loss. nor coral loss. You aren't going to wake up to dinos, even if you do import them. by losing the rule set that brought you to leaving the hobby, you can just take on a new rule set that will make your goldfish bowl the most reliable reef you've ever owned. its important to know if you search out pico reef vases, nothing that is currently causing loss biologically in large tanks is happening there, that's by design. 100% of anyone willing to expend $250 can full on reef and produce sps.
-the light to run a vase reef is a $25 par 30 off amazon. cheapo, grows Jason fox sps if you want.

I think Maritza's coral alone in the fishbowl here is worth three grand, its top shelf:

before exiting go pico
B

Last edited:

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My challenge is that I am about to retire and I'd like to travel a couple of months each year. I have someone who can come and do feedings, but leaving for that long means there will be some serious maintenance AND the occasional emergency. I don't have anyone near me who can be on call for those kinds of issues.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here's an accurate portrayal of vase reefing travel allowance.

since the systems are bubbled, they can be tuned up and down. rate of bubble input = evap rate/topoff requirement.

by turning down low, you can get ten days no topoff :)

no reef in reefing does that other than fully sealed picos that never evaporate at all. These partial ones are easier to build

so before your vaca you'd change the water out.

*at the tenth day someone only needs to add two ounces water total for you.

then its ten more days and it can run prob 2 mos on this cycle without a water change. no feed required either, I go 60 days sometimes with a feed then I do several blast feeds/water change cycles to fatten em back up.

Hands off bigtime, without control machinery to do it. inherent design into the vase does it.

when you get back, and the bowl is cruddy, do this, a rip cleaning. Drag through the video its 30 mins long to show how corals do not mind being in air for 30 mins contrary to popular op

Last edited:

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear every word you are saying mate. Its just so annoying when something is supposed to be so easy to use that a child can use it, when in actual fact you need a phd in computing to understand it.
No place on the websites of any of the controller companies does it say "So easy a child can do it". Also I don't have a PHD in computing but I am learning how to use the GHL system too. It's not as bad as you make it out to be IMHO. Many people on the GHL support forum here on R2R have tried and tried to help you. So the controller isn't your cup of tea, I get it. Just slow down. Perhaps GHL can use your case as a learning curve to improve their programming and support. Since you are in the UK, Have you actually tried calling their German office for assistance? Keep plugging away at it, it will smooth out.

Last edited:

Luv2bhated_ink

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest hurdle is pretty much getting started. I have a tank that's needs to be drilled and that just put me at a standstill. I am scared to do it myself and I went to the lfs and they couldn't help. Wo I'm just stuck thinking if I should just stay with freshwater or say screw it and try.

Musovski

Soft Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I havent really wanted to quit as ive wanted to do a really big display and a very small fun tank. Fun tank will house all my money makers, and the really big display would house anything and everything ocean

Steelheader09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't though about quitting but I have taken a hit in the last year. I lost my favorite coral (The one in my avatar) in a move. I was heartbroken. Then I lost a few more and my fish started murdering my wrasses. My 10gal tank went belly up. I tried to fight back a horrible red algae issue to no avail. I did a complete tear down, peroxide scrubbed the rocks and it would not stop returning within days. I ended up pulling the plug on that tank completely. Lost the coral because there is no way to get the algae off from it and I cannot risk contaminating my other tank. However I have recently became re-energized. I did some overdue maintenance on my biocube and the inhabitants are doing well. I have neon green mushroom absolutely exploding in population!

69272752_638085456600827_3613363674116259840_n.jpg 69613326_1170579846482833_1536831374017691648_n.jpg 69704002_1001159880054681_3406885298909478912_n.jpg

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put one tank in a wall (29 gal) and the other as a kitchen counter(65 gal). in order to leave the hobby would be a major upset of the kitchen space...so I make do with what I have.

I've never left since I started in 2000. I've done upgrades, had a major crash two months after an upgrade, moves, more upgrades and then downgrades. Currently my 29 system is the smallest reef I've run. I recently separated the middle refuge island tank due to assumed elevated nutrients from that tank. It is currently running on it's own and eventually will be a brackish project. Even at my lows when my tank was aiptasia, rock, a few polyps and fish, it was still an aquarium in my home. I still have a pair of clowns that are over 12 years old.

I may never get my current tank to a mixed reef status which is fine. I'm actually starting to see nice looking softy tanks which are more forgiving to less than optimal conditions.

I tend not to set the bar high in this hobby...it's a hobby not a challenge. I make changes slow...my snails do quicker work than me.

Kimberely

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seriously considered quitting because of how time consuming maintenance was on my 125 gallon, and it was slightly warping my floor. But I downsized to a 29 gallon and I'm enjoying the hobby again. (I still have the 125 just in case lol)

Drew75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a crash recently that claimed many sps that had grown from the typical 1 inch frag to mini colonies.. watching them all die was terrible.. not just money, but time and patience watching them grow. I haven’t bought a new coral since.. just working with what I have, but I’ve been in the fence whether or not to cash in the chips...
Had the same happened a year into it. 4 months since I started and learned a good lesson since I didn’t quit. I became resourceful and even more detailed, so far loving the tank and hoping it continues on...don’t cash you owe yourself another round.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 165 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back