SoCal Biotope Temperate Reef (cold water)

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cool I have thought about a cold water reef. I fews years ago I saw a diving vid of the cost of Ireland and it was quite beautiful.

not sure you can do this but here is an idea to keep the cooling $$$ down . you can run 50-100' of tubbing in the back yard ( if you have one ) burry it 4-6' deep and use the ground to cool the tank water. think radiant heat ing but radiant cooling. IDK just a though guess you house will have AC to so might not be a big deal to cool that water volume down,

what temp will you keep the tank at?

Udest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also if you can manage to build it like the thickwalled lobster stock tanks that will help too with cooling.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My house pretty much stays in the 60-75 range without using heating or air for 98% of the time which will make things simple for me. I've also heard of the tubbing method and is very efficient and i probably would've turned to that if needed so great suggestion.

Ideally keeping the temp in the 60-63 range although most of the organisms I'll be keeping are eurythermal as they are mostly from tide pools which is making choosing a temp difficult for me so if you think a certain temp is better lmk.

nope, no temp suggestions as you know more about it that I do.
let us know how it goes :D

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 94 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back