Sodium BiCarbonate... it's Baking Soda!

Ever use baking soda instead of sodium bicarbonate from the LFS?

• Total voters

Joenumba104

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First post here. While I'm new to reefing I still believe that there are some things that I can point out. The first thing that I've noticed was that there are many companies selling Sodium Bicarbonate (NaHCO3) . I hadn't taken chemistry in a few years but when I did, I took advanced chemistry of the 100 and 200 levels. I remember having to buy Sodium BiCarbonate for one of my projects. Boy was I delighted when I discovered it was nothing more than baking soda that you can buy for $3.00 for 5lbs. I'm no stranger to spending money on my tank and maybe even overpaying here and there, but when I see baking soda being sold for $20/lb I figured I'd share the news. Im sure this is known already but why not spread the news again. Buy baking soda for 89 cents at the grocery store if you need to increase your alkalinity or PH. Happy reefing.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, a large number of people use baking soda. Many bake it to convert it to socium carbonate. I give diy recipes for two part additives using it in the stickies at the top of this forum. :)

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 42 39.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 11.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 30.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 18 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back