Soft Coral ID

IXP7633

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 31, 2019
Messages
75
Reaction score
40
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was at the LFS today and I asked what this soft coral was and the kid was not 100% sure he just said it was a leather he believed. Anyone know more specifically what the coral is? Generally I wouldn't buy something without knowing but being $20 and a soft coral I thought I was safe.

20200215_123441.jpg 20200215_121325.jpg 20200215_123441.jpg 20200215_121408.jpg
 
They’re a very hardy coral. Can become invasive once larger. They will drop off pieces that will reattach and grow around the tank.
 
Can totally become cheap trade in frags for your lfs or generous donations to newer reefers getting into the hobby
 
I never seen a purple one before
 
I once had a tank that I intentionally let get overpopulated with these, xenia, anthelia, and bryarium. The populations became more controlled when I added a passer, atlantic blue, Koran, and emporer angel that was years ago though
 
Did it end up being a problem
Not in that tank. I eventually moved it to a 125. Then over a 3mo period it popped up about 8 other spots around the tank.

I kept it in check by cutting with scissors and scraping off the rocks.
 
They are amazing IMO, if they get too much, make frags!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new