Sold a tank, 2 weeks later the individual says it's leaking. Need advice.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always offer a guaranty when I sell stuff... I often refer to it has the " Tail Light " Guaranty.... Guaranteed till I can't see your tail lights..... Then It's On You Bra....

EOD... I'll guarantee it to the end of my driveway.

And... I do tell people that when I sell something. I'm honest about condition, price things reasonably, and I don't feel bad if something happens. Yes, some people will still expect a seller to make things right... but that's their problem, not mine.

Sold a used Aquaticlife Halo light fixture at one point. Guy calls me, says that the one of the plugs that connects the light to it's power supply is loose. Sorry dude. Never gave me any trouble, and you inspected it, even turned it on, before you bought it.

Sold a BROKEN reefkeeper system, RKL controller, 3x 4 outlet strips, syslab, temp probe, pH probe, programming cables, etc. KNOWN FAULTY. Sold the whole pile of stuff for parts to a LFS guy for $50 store credit. Months later, guy the LFS store sold it to calls me up, tells me he bought it, and was having problems.

So sorry. Not my problem... and the vendor is out of business.

Last edited:

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was filled at pick up and not leaking, there's nothing for you to do. If you feel bad, offer a discount that would cover the price of a tube of silicone.

I sold a fully functioning laptop. A week later was contacted saying it blue screened and needs a new motherboard. Guy admits he flashed the bios, which is known to destroy the mother board. I told him, nicely, that was a bummer, but it was working when he got it (and had just been reimaged).

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not read every thing here.
As a buyer of used tanks I inspect it at the sellers location for leaks chips ect...
I dont believe anything said about the tank.
Once I pay and take it, its mine.
If it cracks, leaks.... or they want it back ....ect. its mine.
I do not hold them accountable for what happens
I now a lot of people dont think like this but its the way it is.

OP
OP
M

Meldrath

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe I missed it but did the buyer say where the leak was from? Is it a seam or is it just leaking around the bulkhead or plumbing? Maybe its just how he installed it or bulkhead not tight enough????

I got a reply back from the buyer. He had it 50% filled from the day he bought it, a week later fully filled and then yesterday (so nearly a full week of it fully filled) it leaked. He said the leak came from the front panel seam.

At this point talking to a coworker and explaining the situation and every single person in this thread's thoughts and advice along with it being filled for nearly 2 weeks, I feel my hands are clean of this. I did my due diligence.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apply the OUT OF SIGHT WARRANTY

when their car's taillights are out of sight, all problems are THEIR problems...
warranty is o v e r

You don't know what they did since it left your driveway:

- could have been dropped
- could have been leaned on one edge shifting glass
- silicone could have been excessively scrubbed

If they knowingly or unknowingly did smthg to create the problem... they're prob NOT gonna to tell the WHOLE TRUTH to get smthg out of you.

Maybe they have buyers remorse (?) trying to sabotage the situation. Who knows....

Renton777

Polyp Nipper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the buyer and am friends with him. A group of us debated what we would do in your situation as the seller. We all agreed it was an unfortunate situation. We encouraged him to reach out to you with no expectation, just to get your thoughts.

OP
OP
M

Meldrath

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the buyer and am friends with him. A group of us debated what we would do in your situation as the seller. We all agreed it was an unfortunate situation. We encouraged him to reach out to you with no expectation, just to get your thoughts.

It's hard because I don't want bad blood especially locally and I empathize with his situation.

But at the same time I did my due diligence and didn't mislead them in anyway along with the leak tests etc. If they want to get it resealed, see if they can get a quote on it and I'll chip in to help. I hope you understand my predicament as well as others have stated.

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard because I don't want bad blood especially locally and I empathize with his situation.

But at the same time I did my due diligence and didn't mislead them in anyway along with the leak tests etc. If they want to get it resealed, see if they can get a quote on it and I'll chip in to help. I hope you understand my predicament as well as others have stated.

Good people tend to feel bad, like you do and I would, when something like this happens. That's perfectly normal but it doesn't mean you did anything wrong.

Offering to help on any repair is "above and beyond" what should be expected of you. If this happens I hope the buyer understands how fortunate he was to find a decent seller.

Try not to let it bother you. I've been there as I'm sure a lot of members on here have. It sucks, but know you've done more already then is warranted.

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Unfortunately, I will have to say once it is taken/payed for it is not my responsibility anymore. It was inspected, water tested. The way the tank was moved and or maybe it is not level on the floor the tank was placed can explain why the seam decided to burst. Too many variables out of your control... I sell corals to people and I always send a WYSIWYG photo of their coral and I offer some type of guarantee but if I find that the coral is going into a place not well maintained than I am sorry but that guarantee is voided. I guess my point is some things are easier to guarantee than others.

clm65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's good to have a third party that can communicate with both parties and essentially mediate things if it starts getting ugly. It is an unfortunate situation, and part of the risk of buying used stuff. I personally might kick back a few bucks towards a repair as a good will gesture, but I don't think the seller is obligated to do so.

Question though since you know the buyer - did he put it on the stand that came with it? Or did he put it on the old stand that supported his previous leaking tank? If he put it on the old stand (or any other stand), I (if I were the seller) would not feel as bad, as that would be a likely culprit for the leaks.

B7Joe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is key. You did not misrepresent what you were selling and went above and beyond in making sure (at least when the tank was in your position) that everything was in good working order. Anything you do to help from this point forward is very generous on your part.

Not sure if we’re talking hundreds or thousands of dollars here but as a seller, I have sometimes made the decision to unwind a deal just to avoid the hassle. I had a guy purchase some skates from me at a yard sale then come back with his wife begging for me to take them back because their daughter didn’t like them (they were men’s skates mind you). The lady was giving me a dirty look the entire time and it just wasn’t worth my time, so I shook my head, gave the dude a “I’m so sorry for you” look, handed him his $40 and moved on with my life. :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Its a risk when we buy used tanks. Transport of tank with road bumps, etc can alter the geometry of the tank thereby stretching silicone.
You have to ask yourself. . . .
-did he fill it with warm/hot water ? ( softens silicone)
- Is tank level
- Did tank get nicked ( In HIS Possesion)
He cant prove he did not do any of the above. Quite frankly, the glass appears not to be cracked and he can easily re-silicone/reseal tank and gain a piece of mind.
UNLESS YOUR AD EXPRESSES ANY WARRANTY or GUARANTEE IT DOES NOT LEAK . . . . tank is Not misrepresented.
most courts will deem this buyer's remorse and is not eligible for Refund.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 122 81.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back