Soldier Basic Training

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be a Man

Last week I took my wife to California for a medical procedure and on the plane on the way home a young man sat next to me. I knew right away he was in the service because Veterans, like myself can almost always tell who served. I can pick out a combat Vetran every time which amazes my wife as many times I will approach a stranger and welcome him home.

Anyway, this young man was in the Navy. He had short hair, an American Flag on his hat and backpack, and he called me "Sir". When I come upon an older man than myself (there aren't many left) and I know he is a Vet, I also address him as Sir because that shows respect. Something lost on almost everybody today.

We started talking about his service and he told me about his basic training and was actually embarassed that it was so easy. He told me that the drill instructors were not allowed to curse at them. They couldn't hit them, They couldn't train outside if the weather was not perfect, they could only give him 20 minutes of exercize, then had to allow them to rest and they had a card with exercizes on it and that was all the exercizes they could give them. He also told me when people thank him for his service, he says, he really isn't doing much, but Thank You.

If it were not for my seatbelt, I would have fallen off my chair.

He asked me about my training. I told him that in basic training we were not allowed to walk anywhere except Sunday morning. If we wanted to go three feet we had to run. After breakfast, at 4:00am we ran outside for inspection, no matter what the weather. Then we low crawled through a trench filled with soft mud for about 50 yards while drill Sargents kept screaming and stepping on the back of our heads to make sure our face was in the mud. Then we got up and ran through an obstical course before standing on line for breakfast. Three minutes was allowed for breakfast, no talking. Then you ran back to the barracks for a three minute change so you could get inspected. If you failed inspection you ran for most of the rest of the day and if you were over weight, you were put in the "Dune Platoon" which was just running all day with three other guys carrying a telephone pole. If one guy fell, the other three had to carry him, then go back for the pole. Then you got on with whatever you were going to learn for the day. Drill Sargeants had no problem hitting, kicking, punching or in some cases, breaking a leg on you. You didn't get to sue but the Army paid for the cast.

That was the Army then. The Marines did all that just to warm up.

Now, unfortunately, after talking to this fine Sailor, I feel we are turning out Snowflakes.

I hated my Drill Sargents but after a while my feelings changed dramatacaly and I admired the guy.

When I got to Viet Nam that training paid off because all of our fighting was in mud and there were times when that mud wasn't deep enough for me to put my face down into. I was used to the mud and it didn't bother me one bit. The enemy cursed at us while they were shooting, that also didn't bother me nor did the hot climate, snakes, scorpions, leaches, rain or anything else. That is why we trained and trained hard. We are not doing our service men and women any favors by training them like girlscouts.

Our brave fighting Men and Women deserve better and should be trained to fight, not have a bake sale. If they find themselves in combat, they should be ready and in shape.

I am sure this new training regimin is due to lawyers. I think when a lawyer gets involved in a case where we are trying to train Soldiers and not little girls we should gingerly remove that lawyer from the Army base and gently, threaten him to within an inch of his life, or make him go through Old School Basic training. Then we can get on with making Soldiers and let the lawyers stay in college.

If you are interested in what Basic training was like look up "Full Metal Jacket" and watch the Boot Camp part. The rest of the movie is also very realistic.

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to basic in 2002 for the army. Everything you said about your experience, mirrors my own. It was tough, we had zero free time outside of being able to read mail or a magazine for a short period on Sunday. They weren't allowed to strike us, but they worked us to death and caused hearing loss from screaming into recruits' ears. There was no limit to exercise or anything else.
Thanks for your service.

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't the army have weekends off?
Only when you're done with basic and have moved on to your permanent duty station. Once you complete basic, unless you're going to the field for training, you have weekends off.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went in the Army in 88. The drill's couldn't hit us, couldn't curse us, but yelled at us at first. That changed mid way through. I had one drill, a small, skinny staff sargent that would never yell at us.

One day he stood in front of our platoon and said in a squeaky voice " I'm not going to yell, I'm not going to raise my voice, but you see this" (holding up a pen in his hand) "the pen is mightier than the sword, make my day! I'll write you up on an article 15 so fast, your head will spin!" (Article 15 is the military's legal way of taking rank away, taking pay away, discharging you with a dishonorable discharge or imprisonment)

Not long after that, we went running one morning for PT and passed these guys picking up trash along the road with orange jump suits on. He yelled at us "see those guys with the orange jump suits on!?" Holding his pen up high so we could all see it.

After that, everyone did everything and anything the drills asked us. Scarred the crap out of us! Mess with a mans pay or rank is one thing, but imprisonment military style, no way!

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in in 1969-71. We didn't have any article 15s, or any other things that could be written on paper. They would just beat us and if that didn't work, two of them would beat you. As for duty station that was easy. After basic and AIT I went straight to Viet Nam. We were off on one weekend, the weekend you went home after a year in the jungle.
This was my first Duty Station. It was a clearing in the jungle on the Cambodian border. This was taken after we were attacked by 400 communist troops and fought for 5 hours. We killed about 200 of them and we lost about 50 of us out of about 200. I was on 14 of these LZs.
I appreciated those drill Sergeants after that.
But besides that, it was breeze.

This is it close up. Those are not tents, we had no tents, those are poncho's because it rained for 9 months and when it wasn't raining, it was raining harder. :eek: That is a Cobra Gunship in the background. They saved us many times. Of course there was no electricity, water, roof, walls or roads. Just jungle, monkeys, elephants, tigers, snakes and stuff you find in a zoo

Last edited:
OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was a friend of mine, he would eat rats for me.

This was my Taxi that I took to go anywhere as there were no roads, everything came on helocopters.

We fired 6 of these at a time just about all day and night. For fun, when we got a new guy we would put a rat in the gun and fire that, then make the new guy clean the thing.
They hated that. :p

Last edited:

kasik64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in in 1969-71. We didn't have any article 15s, or any other things that could be written on paper. They would just beat us and if that didn't work, two of them would beat you. As for duty station that was easy. After basic and AIT I went straight to Viet Nam. We were off on one weekend, the weekend you went home after a year in the jungle.
This was my first Duty Station. It was a clearing in the jungle on the Cambodian border. This was taken after we were attacked by 400 communist troops and fought for 5 hours. We killed about 200 of them and we lost about 50 of us out of about 125. I was on 14 of these LZs.
I appreciated those drill Sergeants after that.
But besides that, it was breeze.

This is it close up. Those are not tents, we had no tents, those are poncho's because it rained for 9 months and when it wasn't raining, it was raining harder. :eek: That is a Cobra Gunship in the background. They saved us many times. Of course there was no electricity, water, roof, walls or roads. Just jungle, monkeys, elephants, tigers, snakes and stuff you find in a zoo

Thank you for your service! I respect you for sharing your experiences. My uncle was a nam vet, he just started talking about his experiences a few years ago and started wearing his hat (proudly), before that it was never brought up. My great grandma got a letter twice saying that he was killed in action...but he is still with us today. He is currently battling lung cancer from the napalm/agent orange.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank him for his service. I went two days ago to the VA for PTSD that they tell me I have and I am going there next week for Agent Orange and tinnitus with hearing loss. But I am much luckier than many guys who never came home or came home in pieces. I will always be thankful for that which is why I care about our service people and want them trained so they can be prepared to fight as that is basically what the army is for.

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your service.
I spent 6 months at Fort Bliss in El Paso before my deployment to Iraq. I bet it was sunshine & lollipops compared to Vietnam, but it wasn't fun. I'll scan a few pictures to post tomorrow. I have a nice shot of stampeding camels :)

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Camels are cool. I had a duck, His name was DukDuk and he was the best pet I ever had. When I took him up in a helicopter I had to hold his wings down because he thought he was flying.

Here was a relaxing moment on the Cambodian border in a large clearing.

Here is a monkey taking crackers out of my pocket.

I built my magazines for my M-16. I used sheet metal from a crashed chopper and wire. I guess I had tape. It was made from two regular magazines, I forgot how I connected the springs together but it could fire 30 rounds fully automatic. It held about 30 rounds because our normal magazines only held 18 rounds and the enemy AK-47s held 22 rounds so I figured I would even it up a little. I would imagine you guys in the new Army are not allowed to do that. In Nam I could do almost whatever I wanted and really had no one in charge of me. But of course I had to stay there out in the bush.

I would like to see pictures from Iraq.

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Camels are cool. I had a duck, His name was DukDuk and he was the best pet I ever had. When I took him up in a helicopter I had to hold his wings down because he thought he was flying.
LOL thats hilarious. Thanks for sharing. I'll post some tomorrow.

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey Paul now I know why your fish live forever cause they are afraid to die so they keep living. You are an amazing man. Thank you for all you did for us and our great country and you are right hard training can mean life or death

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I joined army in 2006. Training was not as hard as it was for you but, it was 14 weeks and intense. Causing and hazing was alowed, I hated my drill sgts but respected them. I seen soilders get hit, only in extream circumstances. Another shoulder wanted to quit and refused to train. He was detained in an area with the ac on real low he was only allowed 4 hours of sleep and feed bread and water. After 4 days he agreed to train, and even thanked the drills after he graduated. It was a horrible and amazing experiance that should teach you what you are capable of. I have lots of story's of similer but don't feel typing them pm me if you want to know more. I am a reservist now and hear similer story's. Of what the sailor told you.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the utmost respect for you guys! I never saw combat. I was on the technical side working on "big bombs" before the army got rid of the program because of the INF treaty with Russia. Short and mid range tactical's. I got out in 92 when they all got sent back to the states to be taken apart and destroyed.

Thank you all for your service!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 48 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.7%
Back