Solving my chrysophytes issue one and for all

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I posted a bit ago as algaefix does remove chrysos. And I also stated my sps started to STN. Well. I figured out why, and it wasn’t due to algaefix.

at first I was stumped. Did an ICP test and results came back with no metals etc. even my BTA split. That was when I knew something else was a problem. It turns out my turn over rate wasnt fast enough to keep the display water warm. And caused dramatic temp drops during this winter..
Bummer, glad you figured it out, I keep a temp probe in my sump and one in my main tank just for that reason...

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tom Bishop

please consider this method. I thought of your tank/ your efforts over at HF's site and that your tank is a particular growback challenge, we need that exact type of tank to test pls

I do not think this method above is dangerous/if anything blooms or worsens we can always fall back on the simple physical rip clean. This is a legit frontier to consider for persistent invasions in my opinion.

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tom Bishop

please consider this method. I thought of your tank/ your efforts over at HF's site and that your tank is a particular growback challenge, we need that exact type of tank to test pls

I do not think this method above is dangerous/if anything blooms or worsens we can always fall back on the simple physical rip clean. This is a legit frontier to consider for persistent invasions in my opinion.
My issue with Rip Clean, is my base rocks are pretty big and I am so paranoid that I will drop one, crack my tank etc...just a nightmare vision for me, so for that reason I am always paranoid at pulling rocks out.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Valid for sure, and a rip clean doesn't guarantee a fix either, just a high rate of them

Using the bacterial method it seems we could just stop and make sure a UV is blasting in order to undo its mode

I like that the claimed bacterial method is hands off and through the water

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@taricha @ScottB I need to make a new thread but not sure where to start one, I still have some chryso's hear and there, small pockets but I am getting cyano in my fuge and still struggling with PO4, and when I mean struggling, I mean if I do not dose it goes to zero and that just doesn't seem to be right. I will start a new thread related to these but not sure which sub forum is the right place to post it...

I guess I will post in the chemistry forum - https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-tank-is-whack-with-low-phosphate.962060/

Last edited:

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I thought I would post but I'm still have the chryso's after all these months, I think my tank is just going to be a problem child and will always be that way. My SPS for the most part seem to not care and it just collects on some of the rocks and stays fairly small but I can do a water change and clean it out and 3-4 days its collecting again in the same spots. Everyone says get live rock, some of my rock is Live rock and I have more issues with it then my dry rock lol. GHA that keeps coming back and the best bryposis ever...so yeah for live rock, lol.

I do think vibrant works against chryso but in my nano it really tanks my already low nitrate and just causes other problems but obviously doing what I am now is not changing things up either...so what to do, what to do...

Funny I still can't raise po4 over .05, dosing daily and that only keeps it in the .03-.04 range and that is almost daily dosing with reef roids and benepets, lol. Kind of wondering what heavy phyto dosing would do, would it change things or not, really wish I knew what the magic was....:)

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to update this thread. I tried everything to beat it, held steady higher Po4/No3 for a few months. I gave Brightwell's Razor a try and after the last dose, it's receded so much and the rocks are almost clear

Back