Some corals retracting, but no clear reason?

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My toadstool and alveopora were very happy in there current spots for months. However, they have now retracted and haven't opened for about a week. I haven't changed flow or lighting. I just did a 15% water change yesterday and am waiting to see if that will help at all. My lobophyllia has also started to close

Also, some bugger in my tank is eating my stylphora, but that's another problem lol

My parameters for my Red Sea Coral Pro salt:
dKh: 11.1
Ca: 430
Mg: 1350
NO3: 3
Phosphate: 0.04
pH: ~8.0

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
are these parameters consistent throughout your husbandry? perhaps there was a recent swing that your water change corrected and they're just slowly acclimating back to normal?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are any of your lps in contact or within sweeper tentacle distance from your toadstool leather? Chemical warfare is an unseen “real” thing. That can have an adverse affect on lps/sps.
While I've personally never kept a leather, I have read many times over, once the leather was removed from the tank, LPS took off.

Do you run carbon at all?

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I've personally never kept a leather, I have read many times over, once the leather was removed from the tank, LPS took off.

Do you run carbon at all?
I change out Chemipure Blue about every 90 days.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I change out Chemipure Blue about every 90 days.
Doesn't do enough, especially in a small tank, to completely ameliorate the problem. I had a lovely SPS tort colony that was doing very well in my Evo up until the point that my Pink Fuzzy Devil's Hand started to compete for territory. One day it was fine; the next day the acro was bleaching, looked terrible, and I had to move it to a different tank. I also ran Chemi Pure Blue in that tank.

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are these parameters consistent throughout your husbandry? perhaps there was a recent swing that your water change corrected and they're just slowly acclimating back to normal?
My Mg has been fluctuating, Ca has been unchanged, and Alk falls by about 0.2 per day. I try to dose by hand to correct. I have been considering a auto doser

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are any of your lps in contact or within sweeper tentacle distance from your toadstool leather? Chemical warfare is an unseen “real” thing. That can have an adverse affect on lps/sps.
My toadstool is not by any other corals

Back