Some of my Acro Collection

runetspike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some behind the scenes of the newest iteration!

Concoction V3!

4DC04A0D-A605-447B-BD16-02320C0DA415.jpeg

After mixing the ingredients

1BDB3833-BC0D-4E40-94BA-8B72096F307D.jpeg

After 12 hours and some TLC :)
perfectly

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weren’t your NO3 around 40ppm? How did you get it so low?

Do you use a refugium/algae scrubber.

SpSDrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Do you find a color difference with nitrate levels? I’ve been keeping mine elevated above 30 and found better coloration but could be other factors as well.

City_Boy_Jay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I found keeping them low and po4 low gave me way better follow. Both lps and sps but you could really see it in the sps

OP
OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

IG:crt_reefs
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Weren’t your NO3 around 40ppm? How did you get it so low?

Do you use a refugium/algae scrubber.
Nope, I lower my numbers by feeding :). The concoction that I’ve made is the main driver
Do you find a color difference with nitrate levels? I’ve been keeping mine elevated above 30 and found better coloration but could be other factors as well.
There has to be nuance to this answer, on the surface a nitrate test value is an indicator of the systems ability to process nutrients. A system that has a value of 0 ppm can have the same coloration as a system that had 40 ppm. But then you also have to look at this scenario holistically and examine the feed input into these systems and lengths that these systems take to remove nutrients.

So a tank that can process nutrients and maintain a value of near 0 N and P is an indicator of two potential things.
1. Equilibrium, The system is at a steady state where the feed input exactly matches filtration output
2. The system is nutrient starved, The feed input is insufficient compared to the filtration output.

You’ll be able to gauge which scenario you’re in by examining your corals. If they are starved, it is very visible.

A tank that has 40 ppm nitrate can also grow colorful coral, but is an indicator that the feed input outpaces the filtration output. We also have to remember that high nitrates can negatively affect our water quality and growth rates as well.

I have been on both ends of these extremes with Ultra Low/High Nutrient Systems and I can say that it more about the overall husbandry of the system than a number. A number can only tell you so much about the biology of the tank.

Long story short: High or low nutrients, doesn’t matter. It depends how you treat your tank
I'm just now joining this thread. At what post can I find out what "this method" entails? Its enticing!

Go back and keep reading!

This video should explain the core ideas. Trying to culture the concoction requires an ultra sterile environment. If you can’t ensure that then I wouldn’t recommend it long term. Mix and use within 3-5 days, and if it looks and smells off in any way toss immediately and reset if you want.

Currently innovating the method so it doesn’t have these pitfalls.

OP
OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can you give me the recipe to the concoction?
Have a quick read, at the time of writing this Michael was using V2 of the concoction.
What temperature do you keep your reef at?
74-78 F

OP
OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IMG_9053.jpeg

I noticed my nitrates were consistently between 0-5ppm after about a month of starting your method. Before that my nitrate was at 20-30ppm.
This is what ocean water usually is like, and what systems like zeovit strive for. But now I'm sure you don't see the pitfalls of the zeovit system and super pale sps.
What has changed specifically in your coral? the color? growth? Tissue?

Curiousbranching

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what ocean water usually is like, and what systems like zeovit strive for. But now I'm sure you don't see the pitfalls of the zeovit system and super pale sps.
What has changed specifically in your coral? the color? growth? Tissue?
I didn't change anything about the lighting or flow. Contrary to what people usually think (including myself), that SPS will fade when the nutrient levels are too low or almost zero, all the SPS in my tank have been developing vibrant colors despite my super low nitrate levels for at least the past 3 months. The growth rate and polyp extension are really good. I'll leave the picture here so you and everyone can judge for yourself
IMG_9089_jpg.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9006.mov
    24.7 MB

Superlightman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried the receipt 3 days. Coral gets crazy polyps extensions and seems to like. But bad algua and bad bacteria also, got stn and needed to cut a few colonnies :-(
Maybe it is because I already dose all for reef and bacto balance? Maybe to much carbon is not good for some corals. Some seems happy, but tenuis and millepora, deep acro got stn

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Go back and keep reading!

This video should explain the core ideas. Trying to culture the concoction requires an ultra sterile environment. If you can’t ensure that then I wouldn’t recommend it long term. Mix and use within 3-5 days, and if it looks and smells off in any way toss immediately and reset if you want.

Currently innovating the method so it doesn’t have these pitfalls.

Subscribed!

I just watched your interview with Frag Garage this morning. Super interesting ideas and concept! One thing, I think I saw you write on here maybe, you like to keep the bacteria growth from carbon dosing outside of the reef tank, hence the concoction. Is that mainly just to provide this surge of nutrients and feeding or do you find negative effects from carbon dosing inside the tank you try and avoid? (If this whole idea is a misquote on my part, I apologize.)

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back