OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

IG:crt_reefs
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very interesting thread - especially the discussion regarding the Nirtates @ 20 ppm!

I think that requires a very mature tank to be successful at that level.

This approach definitely requires you to have an established tank with plenty of herbivores to control algae. Otherwise, running very high nutrients will lead to algae blooms and other unwanted occurrences.

OP
OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
_DSC5615.JPG

TGC El Guapo

_DSC5653.JPG

Raising Reef Fruit Ninja

_DSC5669.JPG

CRT Wowaweewa, this is one of my backups. All it does is encrust lol

RIC13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I see a lot of coral names starting with “CRT.” What does this stand for?

OP
OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The pieces labeled as CRT are my own signature collection. These are pieces that I’ve hand collected and aquaculture.

CRT - Coral Reeftank

Hope that clears it up!

RIC13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
The pieces labeled as CRT are my own signature collection. These are pieces that I’ve hand collected and aquaculture.

CRT - Coral Reeftank

Hope that clears it up!
Sure does! I’m not far from you. Do you ever take visitors?

OP
OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The Re-Reboot of Eddie begins! (Eddie is the guy I got the tank from)
This tank about 5 years ago was my flagship system jam-packed with acros. You can look back in the thread and see what type of sticks this tank pumped out. This tank always ran as my t5 system and produced stunning results.
For the longest time after this tank crashed I battled ridiculously high phosphate issues. I could not for the life of me get the level down. I would try tester acros and they would always turn brown or stn. Their polyps would permanently retract and the skin would start looking dehydrated, eventually leading to rtn.

Since the crash this tank has been a FOWLR tank. Now, I have my refugium going again and have steadily brought down the phosphates. I’ve now started to fill the tank with my acanthophyllia collection and they’re doing great. Along with this, I’ve began to add acros as well. A few frags of different species to test the waters and so far so good!

Hopefully I can get this tank stabilized and optimal for acro farming again before I have to go back to school. Stay tuned for more fun!
61DBC07A-933B-4D5D-ACEB-7058468B595F.jpeg

OP
OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Phyto and Kalk!!

Growth literally is insane! Everything in this tank is growing phenomenally, everyday I can see new growth. Even on fresh frags! Pieces that have been relatively dormant for me have even began to show new growth.

For those who are looking for the next level sps growth I definitely recommend achieving higher ph for growth. Thanks to my good friend Ryan Cunningham for showing what high pH can do!
EE0810EA-E2CA-46DF-9CCC-1E9916DEACC9.jpeg

Cjeippert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phyto and Kalk!!

Growth literally is insane! Everything in this tank is growing phenomenally, everyday I can see new growth. Even on fresh frags! Pieces that have been relatively dormant for me have even began to show new growth.

For those who are looking for the next level sps growth I definitely recommend achieving higher ph for growth. Thanks to my good friend Ryan Cunningham for showing what high pH can do!
Is that a one day climb? .42 ph rise?

OP
OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yea, I’m surprised as well. The pH is currently 8.7 right now. I’m curious a out the metabolic processes that take place and wonder how the corals react to the fluctuations. Currently polyp extension is quite extreme. Everything seems very happy and that has been my experience so far with high pH levels.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phyto and Kalk!!

You don't have to sell me on the kalk but what are you doing for phyto?

OP
OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You don't have to sell me on the kalk but what are you doing for phyto?
I recently got some from a member here selling some!

Very good, fresh product! I put in about 60-90 mLs everyday in a 160 gallon volume. I don't think the corals are directly capturing/eating the phyto, but instead the phyto is serving to feed other organisms in the trophic system which then go on to feed the corals. Along with this, the phytoplankton also photosynthesize and probably reproduce in the water column, which in turn probably reduces CO2, reducing carbonic acid in the water and thus raising pH.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back