OP
OP
Natescorals

Natescorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay I will check. Okay do you guys recommend Hannah checkers? Or salifert? Or is there even something better than that. That you would recommend

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also how can I just maintain stable alkalinity?

With only one stony coral, on IO salt you should be fine doing WCs up to 30-40%.

It would be unusual for you to need to dose ALK;something would be "off" if you did. Still, it important to know what your values are like.

We all have our favorite kits for various parameters, but for phosphates, Hanna ULR is pretty much it.

PPPPPP42

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new and my experience has been:
I use a Hanna for alk because the Red Sea test I have is a bit vague about when the blue color that starts the test actually appears and being even one drop off on that screws the results all up.
I found my alk had dropped to like 6 or something (which agreed with the red sea test) though a water change bumped it to 7.7.
It’s interesting to test the mixed water that you are about to add to the tank to have a guess as to what you will end up with. Mine was alk 8.5 as I recall.

I also plan to get the Hanna Ulr phosphate checker because the api test doesn’t read reliably low enough for me and you generally don’t want phosphates to be absolutely zero for good algae vs bad stuff growing reasons. Some run them higher as a ratio to higher nitrates but I am no expert on any of this.

Lilah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it be brown Jelly? Are any parts of the coral falling off? Maybe try melafix as a dip or growth stimulator.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t mean to “threadjack” but many many reefers have had successful tanks with API

I like API as a quick, preliminary test as they are fast and easy tests to complete. If they indicate an issue, then I back up the API results with Red Sea.

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I no longer have shrimps in my tank because of this! not saying its your issue though

My cleaner shrimp also does the same thing. She will pick off whatever food she can grab on. To go around this, she gets to eat first. I use a coral feeder and give her a meaty chunk. She's busy after that. Every now and than she'll go picking at my corals if the chunk isn't big enough

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back