Something chopping off euphyllia heads?

Kynzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other day I found the head of one of my duncans hanging on the Skelton by a little tissue but eventually it came off and floated around the tank. Today I found the head of one of my gold hammers in the same situation. Nothing appears to be eating the coral tissue after but it's like the heads are being cut off. I haven't added anything to my tank for months and have never had this issue. Anyone experience anything similar? I'm afraid there's something in the tank that's I'm going to have to find and remove.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The other day I found the head of one of my duncans hanging on the Skelton by a little tissue but eventually it came off and floated around the tank. Today I found the head of one of my gold hammers in the same situation. Nothing appears to be eating the coral tissue after but it's like the heads are being cut off. I haven't added anything to my tank for months and have never had this issue. Anyone experience anything similar? I'm afraid there's something in the tank that's I'm going to have to find and remove.
Emerald crabs can do stuff like that. Also, stressed lps can sometimes "throw" their polyps from my understanding.

OP
OP
Kynzo

Kynzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emerald crabs can do stuff like that. Also, stressed lps can sometimes "throw" their polyps from my understanding.
I got some emerald crabs a few months back. I'll have to look out for that. I agree on the bailout being an option but there were healthy corals so I'm leaning away from that.

OP
OP
Kynzo

Kynzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Polyp bait out.
looks similar to a toupee flopping ?
I don't think it looks like that, so I'm going to say I don't think so. Other heads of the same coral still appear healthy

OP
OP
Kynzo

Kynzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lights are off now, but it literally looks like a euphyllia that had tissue recession and you see only the skeleton, but the coral head is in the sand next to the coral. Such a sad sight.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My lights are off now, but it literally looks like a euphyllia that had tissue recession and you see only the skeleton, but the coral head is in the sand next to the coral. Such a sad sight.
Grab the head and put it in holding. Sometimes they'll grow a new skeleton.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally with euphilia once the flesh falls
Off it’s. goner. .
It’s not happy and if not corrected Some will spread to the other heads of the colony

Bombschell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the euphylia is on the sand that maybe a problem. Hammers and frogspawn don't appear the like being on the substrate and it can irritate then

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emerald crabs don't snip entire heads of corals off. It's most likely polyp bail out. Full parameters and a full tank shot would be very helpful.

Back