Something eating/breaking down silicone seal

ChaseB143

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently got a used 75 gallon tank, and the Silicone seal on the bottom edge appears to be eaten at by something. I am just concerned about the quality of the seal now. I had about an inch of water in it for two days, and I didn’t see anything leaking. If it is a problem, is there a way to fix it without resealing the entire tank?
E1B39A6A-A4E3-46C8-93FC-F7E39EC29E36.jpeg
11F1C432-8F63-4747-93D3-725A41288347.jpeg
1A3F16E2-5400-41BB-9004-9FBA326A6A35.jpeg

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes, scrubbing algae from the glass can tear away pieces of silicon over time. Cutting it out and resealing it is ideally the way to go, but, it won't be a small job if the tank is already up and running.

OP
OP
ChaseB143

ChaseB143

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me it looks like the silicone is breaking down from age. I would cut it all out and reseal it now before it causes you a ton of headache later
How do I reseal it, would I have to remove all of it, including the silicone that is holding the glass together, or would I just have to scrape the stuff out that’s on the inside of the tank?

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1325967[/ATTACH]

To me it looks like someone already tried to reseal it. On the left side of the seal in the picture there's two straight lines that look like an original tape line and a 2nd newer tape line. The silicone also looks like it may be old and "dragged" or stuck to whatever was used to push it into the joint and smooth it. I wouldn't cut the tank apart but I would cut out the silicone from the insides of the joints and resilicone it as mentioned above.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I . . . . ?
11F1C432-8F63-4747-93D3-725A41288347.jpeg
To me it looks like someone already tried to reseal it. On the left side of the seal in the picture there's two straight lines that look like an original tape line and a 2nd newer tape line. The silicone used also looks like it may have been old and "dragged" or stuck to whatever was used to push it into the joint and smooth it. Irregardless there's obvious air bubbles in the silicone I would not expect to see in a factory applied joint. It's probably ok and will hold water but resealling it would at least give you peace of mind and it's not that difficult to do. I wouldn't cut the tank apart but I would cut out the silicone from the insides of the joints and resilicone it as mentioned above.

jtl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The silicone seams that hold the glass panels together have been compromised and I would not trust them. You can easily repair the inside seams but they don't really do much, it is more for aesthetics and perhaps a little protection for the structural seams. The correct way to fix this is to completely disassemble the tank, clean all of the seams and restore the surface to virgin glass, then reseal. This is not an easy job but it is doable. I have done this a couple of times when I messed up the seams in tanks that I was building.

LC8Sumi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The silicone seams that hold the glass panels together have been compromised and I would not trust them. You can easily repair the inside seams but they don't really do much, it is more for aesthetics and perhaps a little protection for the structural seams. The correct way to fix this is to completely disassemble the tank, clean all of the seams and restore the surface to virgin glass, then reseal. This is not an easy job but it is doable. I have done this a couple of times when I messed up the seams in tanks that I was building.

Exactly. The main job is done by the silicone between the two glasses, and not the overhang of the silicone - no use redoing that & also silicone won't really bind to already cured silicone.

Also don't use transparent silicone on reef tanks, as most are not UV resistant & the spectrum of the light needed for our tanks will degrade it over time.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This, precisely....

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back