Something eating my candy cane?

Iafrate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is my candy cane dying or is something eating it?
318831CC-FBEF-414C-BCA5-05D8B7085E91.jpeg

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's dying... the tissues are receding to show the skeleton. The rock in the background looks like a really new tank... how old is the system?

OP
OP
Iafrate

Iafrate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's dying... the tissues are receding to show the skeleton. The rock in the background looks like a really new tank... how old is the system?
About 6 months. The rock behind it is only about 2-3 months. I’m never happy with my aquascape

OP
OP
Iafrate

Iafrate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hammers and soft corals are all happy

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Tissue loss and retention
Lights seem awfully bright. reduce white, increase blue, moderate water flow and feed 2z per week. These have minimum requirements.

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 6 months. The rock behind it is only about 2-3 months. I’m never happy with my aquascape
Lps and softies also like some nutrients...ie, nitrates and phosphates. I had trouble keeping LPS when i had trouble keeping nutrients in my tank at the beginning.

OP
OP
Iafrate

Iafrate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lps and softies also like some nutrients...ie, nitrates and phosphates. I had trouble keeping LPS when i had trouble keeping nutrients in my tank at the beginning.
My nitrates have been around 7-5 phosphate .1-.25

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nitrates have been around 7-5 phosphate .1-.25
Is the one remaining head still opening and extending feeding tentacles? I feed my trumpet coral every few days and its really responding and growing. Mine are extended in the mornings when the lights comes on.

OP
OP
Iafrate

Iafrate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the one remaining head still opening and extending feeding tentacles? I feed my trumpet coral every few days and its really responding and growing. Mine are extended in the mornings when the lights comes on.
They both were until recent but now it’s just the one that opens

KHunter0622

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d cut that head off. Glue each one to new plugs. Sand bed them. Cut the bottom off a 20 oz or 2 litter and 2 times a week put it over them and shoot some food into the bottle. Keep them in the bed or on a frag rack till the tank is confident then try try again. Generally if anything is eating it would be it’s already on its way out. Other times a head got buried and not noticed soon enough. Could always try dipping the bad head in some Coral RX or other as a Hail Mary. Good luck on your candy canes. Once you get them going all of a sudden you’ll have 60+ heads.

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They both were until recent but now it’s just the one that opens
Well, sounds like you still might have a chance. They are very hardy.
@KHunter0622 has a good idea...a coral dip might help to make sure you don't have a pest involved. Maybe even after that dip, an iodine dip in case there's some damaged tissue present. I would definitely move the coral though... lighting or flow or something at that spot may be bothering it. I'm assuming the 2 heads were perfectly healthy prior?

Since you really only have one viable head, you can hand feed. I use a pipette and hand "push" a single mysis shrimp to each head every few days. I shut off flow when doing this. The funnel idea works too especially when there are a lot of heads to feed. But, if you can hand feed while it's hurt, then you'll know that head definitely received food while nursing it back.

OP
OP
Iafrate

Iafrate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, sounds like you still might have a chance. They are very hardy.
@KHunter0622 has a good idea...a coral dip might help to make sure you don't have a pest involved. Maybe even after that dip, an iodine dip in case there's some damaged tissue present. I would definitely move the coral though... lighting or flow or something at that spot may be bothering it. I'm assuming the 2 heads were perfectly healthy prior?

Since you really only have one viable head, you can hand feed. I use a pipette and hand "push" a single mysis shrimp to each head every few days. I shut off flow when doing this. The funnel idea works too especially when there are a lot of heads to feed. But, if you can hand feed while it's hurt, then you'll know that head definitely received food while nursing it back.
Yes they were both healthy before. But I’ll try what was suggested thank you everyone

bobby.w.hodges

Wet Thumb
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you take rock out and replace with new you are really putting a big drain on your bacteria in the tank, rock is called "live" because that's where the bacteria live and bacteria is wheat keeps the tank stable to an extent.

jsc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried dipping it and moving it to lower light?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 65 34.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back