Something growing on my alveopora

Wowkuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone tell me what's growing on it? When I first got it, it was doing good. But all of a sudden it started closing up and I noicted this crap that I haven't seen before. And ever since then, it hasn't fully came out. What can I do?

20190101_141345.jpg

20190101_141302.jpg

20190101_141207.jpg

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly bryzoans or sponge? It looks to me that the alevapora is severely bleached and dying. It might be recieving to much light and they like occasional small particle feedings now and then. I'd move into lower light. What's growing on the skeleton is not what's killing the coral IMO.

OP
OP
W

Wowkuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK will do. Low light and low flow Spot feeding. Is it true that they like skimmer less systems? If so I might be getting rid of it. I cannot run my system without a skimmer I plan to have a good amount of fish in there.

@DSC reef

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you have algae growth on the corallites of these especially in the central part of colony it’s almost impossible to stop and will aggravate fleshy parts leading to further recession until it kills off coral.. unfortunately treatment methods such as using toothbrush and hydrogen peroxide tends to be very hard on these and Goni’s, your best bet would be to frag off the healthy sections but you need a water cooled band saw for that.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK will do. Low light and low flow Spot feeding. Is it true that they like skimmer less systems? If so I might be getting rid of it. I cannot run my system without a skimmer I plan to have a good amount of fish in there.

@DSC reef
It doesn't matter if you have skimmer, I've never ran a tank without one and we had 5 at one point, lol. Given the right conditions that coral can be a fast grower.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 74 46.8%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%
Back