Something is up my my BTA

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For about the last couple of nights my BTA has been doing this, I've been feeding him ReefRoids and it looks as if he is sucking on his tentacles for the RR. I'm a bit on edge with his mouth being open and I'm curious to know your guy;s thoughts on him.

BTW, this is the first night where it looks as if hes pooping or sticking out his tong and has "drool" going down his mouth

AB7B4574-DF3C-41F3-BC56-44221F4DF3DE.jpeg

OP
OP
IE Reefer

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just before I posted this, I turned on "day mode" on my Current USA Orbit Marine LED lights and it looks like the BTA is growing to its normal size throughout the day

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off back off feeding it. I feed mine once a week. Some folks even less. Secondly WHEN you do feed it, try non cooked frozen shrimp from a grocery store or clams. Mine get littleneck clams. Reef Roids is not the preferred food for nems. One other note: I highly doubt your Current USA lights are strong enough for your nem.

OP
OP
IE Reefer

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off back off feeding it. I feed mine once a week. Some folks even less. Secondly WHEN you do feed it, try non cooked frozen shrimp from a grocery store or clams. Mine get littleneck clams. Reef Roids is not the preferred food for nems. One other note: I highly doubt your Current USA lights are strong enough for your nem.
Well before all of this started happening, 2x per week once per Sun/Mon and once per Fri/Sat for all my corals + nem. The reason why I feed the nem RR was because the guy I bought him off of he recommended me to use the RR to feed the nem, I've been hearing a lot about feeding nems shrimp and I will try to do that once I have the chance to grab some, in the mean time, could I use mysis shrimp as a food source for him instead of RR? I have a 29g tank that stands at ~19" and the nem is located around the mid range of the tank, he seems pretty happy throughout the day, same with all my other corals.

Edit: after a bit of research, I've read that nems do that when they are disposing waste, so I'm assuming he's just pooping but I just want to make sure he's ok

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah he was probably disposing of waste. Re: feeding you can feed mysis but space out your feedings to once a week. We all want our inhabitants "fat & sassy" but nems don't need alot of food they get most of their energy from light. You might get away w/Current USA lights for awhile, but IMO your nem will be happier with something stronger.

Provide good light, roughly 8 hrs of fairly strong light and feed frozen shrimp or clams and you'll be golden.

Nems.jpg

OP
OP
IE Reefer

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah he was probably disposing of waste. Re: feeding you can feed mysis but space out your feedings to once a week. We all want our inhabitants "fat & sassy" but nems don't need alot of food they get most of their energy from light. You might get away w/Current USA lights for awhile, but IMO your nem will be happier with something stronger.

Provide good light, roughly 8 hrs of fairly strong light and feed frozen shrimp or clams and you'll be golden.

Nems.jpg
Thanks for the help!

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The key is small feedings.

My clown feeds the nem just about every day when I feed the tank. Sometimes I give the clown a little extra for the nem.

Small feedings and a variety. If you are going to feed roids don't feed a lot just a light dusting.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fo not normally feed my anemones at all either normally. I am currently feeding a few select ones krill as an experiment.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back