Something is wrong with my tank! :(

Mike1995

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't figure it out. My corals appear to be doing well. I feed reef roids some times but they still haven't grown. Any ideas on why?
I had a good amount of algea and stuff growing on my rock. And it died. Its all turning gray. I think it contributed to my tang dying last week.
My wrasse, angel and one of my clowns are starting to breathe heavier than normal. It started with my tang a few weeks ago, started breathing a little heavy and then rapid. Now my other fish are doing the same.. My wrasse used to be active all day. Non stop. Now he hides under an arch of my rock towards the bottom. Any ideas as to whats happening? :(

My parameters are-
Nitrate 10ppm (shot up to 80 last week, did a water change and it lowered it)
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
Ph 8.3
Salinity 1.025
Calcium 460
Alk 10.2
Magnesium 1350

I recently switched salt to red sea. My corals have seemed to like it.. My fish idk. Any one have any clue what's going on?

OP
OP
Mike1995

Mike1995

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20190319_162631.jpg

Heres the wrasse. Every time I attempt a picture of the angel he darts away.
I mean he looks healthy and eats fine. But his gills are m9ving faster and faster by day

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see any obvious problems with the fish in the picture ( except it’s a phone ). :)

If you have low oxygen maybe from bacterial degradation of your dead algae? then you need to increase O2 in the water. Point the power heads to disrupt the surface more if you can, same with any returns you might have.
If you have an air pump put an air stone in the tank. Make sure your skimmer is clean and making lots of bubbles.
Clean out any filter socks of detritus , sponges or carbon all need to be rinsed or replaced if they are dirty, but don’t do all of that rinsing or filter cleaning on the same day. Clean the dirtiest and wait a day or two and watch for improvement.

Did the fish that died have any physical damage or discoloration that you noticed?
@HotRocks m

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see any obvious problems with the fish in the picture ( except it’s a phone ). :)

If you have low oxygen maybe from bacterial degradation of your dead algae? then you need to increase O2 in the water. Point the power heads to disrupt the surface more if you can, same with any returns you might have.
If you have an air pump put an air stone in the tank. Make sure your skimmer is clean and making lots of bubbles.
Clean out any filter socks of detritus , sponges or carbon all need to be rinsed or replaced if they are dirty, but don’t do all of that rinsing or filter cleaning on the same day. Clean the dirtiest and wait a day or two and watch for improvement.

Did the fish that died have any physical damage or discoloration that you noticed?
@HotRocks m

Good advice here^ .

The added coral a couple weeks ago would fit the timeline for velvet so that makes me a bit nervous for you.

Rapid breathing, lethargy, reclusiveness, swimming into power heads are all symptoms of velvet. Have you seen any of this?

@4FordFamily

OP
OP
Mike1995

Mike1995

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@HotRocks m

No discoloration. My fish have very vibrant colors which makes this whole ordeal even more strange. The tang that died didn't really lose any coloration but he was pretty skinny. I have two flexible black return pipes coming out of my return. Both are pointed at the surface. I also have two wavemakers. Should I adjust those?

OP
OP
Mike1995

Mike1995

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good advice here^ .

The added coral a couple weeks ago would fit the timeline for velvet so that makes me a bit nervous for you.

Rapid breathing, lethargy, reclusiveness, swimming into power heads are all symptoms of velvet. Have you seen any of this?

@4FordFamily

Not a lot of lethargy. The fish all are really active most of the day. But they are breathing more and more rapid. They pick algea off the powerheads but I dont really see them swimming directly at them.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velvet... from corals?
If they came from a system that houses fish, it could have had an encysted tomont on whatever coral is attached to. I'm not saying it's for sure what happened but a possibility.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they came from a system that houses fish, it could have had an encysted tomont on whatever coral is attached to. I'm not saying it's for sure what happened but a possibility.

Okay. When I think Velvet or Brook, I think fish host.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. When I think Velvet or Brook, I think fish host.
Correct, the free swimming stage of velvet needs a fish to attach to.

An encysted tomont can be on a frag plug or rock, releasing free swimmers looking for a fish to host.

Brook can also be transmitted via new coral. It also needs a fish to host to keep cycling but it has a direct life cycle that multiplies on the fish itself.

OP
OP
Mike1995

Mike1995

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct, the free swimming stage of velvet needs a fish to attach to.

An encysted tomont can be on a frag plug or rock, releasing free swimmers looking for a fish to host.

Brook can also be transmitted via new coral. It also needs a fish to host to keep cycling but it has a direct life cycle that multiplies on the fish itself.

Is it possible my fish have velvet? How do you treat velvet?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back