Something isnt right....need some help!

Gregg @ ADP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not currently using GFO, but I was to get rid of the cyano and GHA, which have plagued my tank since day one. If you have those, you have excess Po4 at minimum. The problem is, Ive had ZERO no3 detectable unless I add it (which I have to keep it above 0). Its a problem that either I starve the corals by letting the GHA get out of control, or I starve the corals by using too much GFO.....

I think this go around I am just going to feed heavy, and remove the algae manually if need be. I can control the Po4 if it gets too high using Phosephate-E (I like this better than GFO actually because you can be very precise about how much Po4 you remove). For me 1ml in my 215 total gallons, drops po4 by about .015. I think so long as I keep the Po4 above 0 but below .05, and keep the no3 above 3 but below 10, that is what I am targeting. Hopefully I can feed like crazy to get the corals back to health, but keep the po4 in check using the Phosphate-E....
It seems counterintuitive some times to fix a problem by stepping back, laying off, and adding more nutrients, but your plan sounds like a good route to take.

What I’ve always found to be effective is to scrub algae off rocks w/pumps off, let it settle, and then siphon it out along with whatever other junk is on the bottom. You really only need to take out 5-10 gal of water. Just keep chipping away, and eventually other algae will outcompete the dinos, diatoms, cyano, etc.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back