Somethings going on here

BradyO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I woke up this morning to find my damsel dead and everyone else acting very weird. The spots on my clown look a lot worse. Anyone know what this might be?

bb2777dcc3be42092f0c92973fc6d95f.jpg

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I woke up this morning to find my damsel dead and everyone else acting very weird. The spots on my clown look a lot worse. Anyone know what this might be?

bb2777dcc3be42092f0c92973fc6d95f.jpg
Do you have a way to QT all of your fish and treat with Prazi? If not it is somewhat reef safe just going to kill most of your tube worms and bristleworms.

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks y’all! Any tips on curing?
Treatments are listed in the thread I posted. Treat the same as flukes. Praziquantel, formalin, and freshwater dip. I'd definitely do the fresh water dip right away to provide some immediate relief then go with Prazi in a QT set up if possible.

OP
OP
BradyO

BradyO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a way to QT all of your fish and treat with Prazi? If not it is somewhat reef safe just going to kill most of your tube worms and bristleworms.

I don’t have a QT tank.

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything can be a QT tank. A 5 gallon bucket, a sterilite container. If you have a HOB filter and a heater then QT is possible. Put some pvc fittings for the fish to hide in and use some media from your main filter to run in the QT HOB filter.

You can dose Prazi in the DT but could cause problems with some inverts. Mainly worms.

is it just the clownfish in the tank now or are there others?

OP
OP
BradyO

BradyO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything can be a QT tank. A 5 gallon bucket, a sterilite container. If you have a HOB filter and a heater then QT is possible. Put some pvc fittings for the fish to hide in and use some media from your main filter to run in the QT HOB filter.

You can dose Prazi in the DT but could cause problems with some inverts. Mainly worms.

is it just the clownfish in the tank now or are there others?

There’s a clown and diamond goby.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
interest ing pic ! I'd never seen "black ich" before . So the treatment isn't the same as white ich so the 2 are not the same . I thought the black & white were different forms of ich . Treatment would be the same .
They should have used a different unrelated name.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did/do the other fish also have these black marks on their body's? The hammer coral behind the fish could certainly be stinging the fish and causing hypermelanization.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did/do the other fish also have these black marks on their body's? The hammer coral behind the fish could certainly be stinging the fish and causing hypermelanization.
I think Big G may be correct. Plus any black ick I’ve ever seen was smaller. No disease expert here...
@HotRocks

OP
OP
BradyO

BradyO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My damsel was dead this morning and the diamond goby and clownfish are acting very weird. I’ve noticed a couple of my hammer corals have been closed up the past day or two though.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are awfully large for black ich spots, could be a sting and resulting hypermelanizafion. It COULD be a component of your issue but based on the other deaths I am guessing there is more at play.

Any of the fish hiding from light? Swimming in to powerheads? Have spots? “Dustings”? Flashing? Scratching? Losing appetite? Losing color? Breathing heavily?

OP
OP
BradyO

BradyO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are awfully large for black ich spots, could be a sting and resulting hypermelanizafion. It COULD be a component of your issue but based on the other deaths I am guessing there is more at play.

Any of the fish hiding from light? Swimming in to powerheads? Have spots? “Dustings”? Flashing? Scratching? Losing appetite? Losing color? Breathing heavily?

Yes the clown hides most of the day and the diamond goby seems lethargic and lazy. Neither one is eating.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the clown hides most of the day and the diamond goby seems lethargic and lazy. Neither one is eating.
Those symptoms could be bacterial infections (often internal) or velvet hiding amongst the gills, or an issue in the water. Standalone it’s difficult to say.

If I were going to throw the book at it it would be copper power and spectrogram (or kanaplex + furan 2). Copper power for 14 days and the other meds for 14 days and then a transfer to a completely sterile quarantine that shared nothing with the original. If this cannot be achieved, 30 days in copper, 14 in antibiotics.

OP
OP
BradyO

BradyO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those symptoms could be bacterial infections (often internal) or velvet hiding amongst the gills, or an issue in the water. Standalone it’s difficult to say.

If I were going to throw the book at it it would be copper power and spectrogram (or kanaplex + furan 2). Copper power for 14 days and the other meds for 14 days and then a transfer to a completely sterile quarantine that shared nothing with the original. If this cannot be achieved, 30 days in copper, 14 in antibiotics.

Is this something I can do in my main tank? I don’t have a qt tank and am trying to avoid needing one. I did order prazipro.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this something I can do in my main tank? I don’t have a qt tank and am trying to avoid needing one. I did order prazipro.
No, you’ll need to commit to treating them in a QT or lose your fish, most likely.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 98 80.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.9%
Back