Sometimes life happens!!! Have any fish bred in your tank?

Have any fish bred in your tank?

• Yes, I have seen fish fry in my tank.

Votes: 61 24.8%
  • Yes, I have seen fish eggs (but no fry) in my tank.

Votes: 60 24.4%
  • No, but I have tried to breed fish.

Votes: 19 7.7%
  • No, I have not seen any fish eggs or fry in my tank.

Votes: 94 38.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.9%

• Total voters

xhuli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20230921_205308.jpg

There is juveline Banggai cardinalfish in my sump.

I had previously raised one batch in my refugium. Caught the male from the DT and dropped him in the refuge. He released the fry few days later, and was moved to another part of the sump to recover away from the female.

The babies devastated all the zooplancton in the fuge. I raised them using brine, and some vinegar eels.

IMG-e19bc0f78b7b099d6eead477c7d0e057-V.jpg

yanetterer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of clowns that just started spawning last month. I think this is my fourth pair of clowns over the last 15 years and they are the first to breed. I don't have any way to raise the fry though. I have plenty of extra room in my sump and I kind of want to rig it up to at least try raising some in there.

I also recently picked up some bangaii cardinals. If I can get those to spawn, then I may get more serious about raising both them and the clownfish fry.

Not a fish, but my rock flower anemones spawn a few times every winter. Now that my tank finally seems to be stable, I'm concerned that this year's batch could turn them into a pest. A couple years ago I spotted probably 40+ babies before dinos/the steps to get rid of dinos wiped out all but a couple of them.

Cary Meredith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you been removing them from your display? Very interested to hear more about this, ive been collecting banggai with the aim to try breeding them. Ive got 6 right now but they are still smaller guys so I expect it will be a little while.
I haven't been because where they end up I can't catch them, first one ended up in the overflow and was able to get it out. The one I have now either went through the sump and all the pumps and filtration or up a hose to a tank above the main display.

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mandarin dragonets and royal grammas spawn regularly. I have bangaii cardinal with eggs now for the third time but i haven't had time to get them out, need to try that soon though. I need to work on more live cultures when i have more time as well.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't suppose the continuous breeding we have going on of electric blue acaras in this one count? :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: Missus gave that whole clown fish breeding a go but gave it up in the end..

1697529308596.png

1979fishgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 4 Banggai and now have 14 and counting.

Few years ago a pair of Saddleback Clowns bred and I had a group of 20 all living in a giant colony.

Clarkii Clowns, Common Clowns all laid eggs when I had them.

Spotted Mandarins bred almost weekly.

A pair of Eye spot Goby bred in my tank, female even buried the male with the eggs in the burrow. Unfortunately the pair produced no actual live fry that I could see and I lost them to I think internal parasites over time.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Breeding behavour but no eggs observed - Yelllow Tail Damsels and Falme Hawks. The smaller of a pair of Flames Hawks in one of my systems on a regular basis would look like she swallowed a marble for a day and the next day would be back to normal but actual spawning was never observed.

Eggs - obviously clowns but also Royal Grammas, Domino Damsels, Green Chromis, Mandarin Gobies

Fry - I have seen larva fish from Royal Grammas, Bangii Cardinals and presumably Yellow Tail Damsels (Chryseptera) since they were the ones displaying what looked like breeding behavior.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I've had multiple different fish spawn in my tanks over the years, several different clownfish pairs.( current pair of GSM clowns have been spawning for 24+ years.) I'm pretty sure there were Black Cap Basslets guarding eggs in a cave a few years back. Had green chromie eggs for several years.
But the only fish I was able to raise to adults were my Bangaii Cardinals. They had several spawns in my display tank. I always would find the babies in the sump.
I was able to catch them and set them up in there own 20 gallon tank and raise babies for about a year.

zoolan70

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had clownfish breed constantly but never tried to raise the fry. I did have Trochus snails breeding like crazy for a while (not sure what the secret was, but for a year or so I couldn't pull them out fast enough to sell).

mwilk19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of Lightning Maroon clowns that spawn regularly in my anemone cube. I've been tempted to raise the fry. I did it back in the early 90's. I thought I'd get rich selling tank raised clowns to local fish stores. That lasted for about a week when I realized that it costs more to raise them than I could sell them for. It was still fun.

Bj’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only things that I have successfully bred to full adults are Bangai Cardinals and Pygmy Seahorses. The Bangai's at one point we got up to the 4th generation. We only got 2-6 adults from each clutch. But we didn't do anything to raise them. They were born in our frag tanks outside in the sun. The ones that survived went over the overflow and grew up in the overflows to adult hood.

We tried fake urchins and long spine urchins but there was never any babies seen in either of those.

In our main display tank we had baby Bangai but they never made it a week in the acro colonies before becoming fish food.

In a refugium tank I put 6 pygmy seahorses to see how they would do feeding off all the pods. In about 6 months in a 30g tank of chaeto and caluerpa I had about 60 adult pygmy seahorses. Baby Pygmys are like the size of small brine shrimp. It takes awhile to recognize them in the tank they are so tiny.

We have had lots of other fish breed in the tank. But have never seen fry/babies. Clowns, Orange Tail Damsels, Flame Back Angels, Pygmy Angels, Venustus Angels, Yellow Clown Gobies, Yellow Neon Gobies, Joculator Angels, Gold Flake Angels, Target Mandarin, Spotted Mandarin, Bellus Angels, Golden Angels, Fridmandi Pseudochromis and Venustus Angels.

Catching the angels spawning is amazing. And when we had everyone happy we had 4 pairs of angels spawning everynight all within a minute or 2 of each other. But the moment the eggs spew out and the male fertilizes the rest of the tank population swoops in for a caviar feast. It's amazing how aggressive anthias can get going for fish eggs.

Dave B
Where did you get your Pygmy seahorses from?

Bigdaddy05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had bangi cardinal fish bred and produce baby’s a couple times and every time I tried to save the baby’s they would escape and get eaten by other fish the biggest a couple got was 1/2 inch! I also have micro conchs that breed and produce tons of baby’s with no issues

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back