Sometimes life happens!!! Have any fish bred in your tank?

Have any fish bred in your tank?

• Yes, I have seen fish fry in my tank.

Votes: 61 24.8%
  • Yes, I have seen fish eggs (but no fry) in my tank.

Votes: 60 24.4%
  • No, but I have tried to breed fish.

Votes: 19 7.7%
  • No, I have not seen any fish eggs or fry in my tank.

Votes: 94 38.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.9%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sometimes life happens!!! Have any fish bred in your tank?

Whether it is clownfish eggs, a small cardinalfish fry, or some other sign of reproduction – sometimes life happens in our tank whether we tried to encourage it, or it just happened. Of course, successful fish breeding and rearing attempts are typically more successful if we can plan for it, create the space for the fish to thrive, work to keep the eggs healthy, and then have the food and security for the fry. Let us know about your experience with fish laying eggs in your aquarium. Have any fish bred in your tank?

PeaceRiver_ClownfishFry.jpeg

Photo by @Peace River

If you would like to learn more about breeding fish or have experiences to share then we encourage you to check out the R2R Fish Breeding forum.

Also a shout-out to @therootcause for their suggestion for this QOTD. If you have experience with breeding fish (especially pajama cardinalfish) then please stop by the following thread to offer your tips and encouragement: Seven Mature Pajama Cardinals and No Eggs.

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.tidalgardens.com

TidalGardensBanner2.jpeg

“The goal of Tidal Gardens is to offer the highest quality corals to those seeking a piece of that world without destroying it. We hope to instill a deep appreciation for the natural reefs and help develop a self-sustaining hobby that no longer requires the collection of fish and corals.”

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pair of neon gobies that would breed in a length of pvc pipe. Whenever the fry hatched and left the pipe, the other fish would pick them off. My blue stripe pipes breed constantly. After mating, the male would go into hiding. I would catch a glimpse of him now and then with his brood pouch growing. After about a month, he would be slim and swimming around.

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only things that I have successfully bred to full adults are Bangai Cardinals and Pygmy Seahorses. The Bangai's at one point we got up to the 4th generation. We only got 2-6 adults from each clutch. But we didn't do anything to raise them. They were born in our frag tanks outside in the sun. The ones that survived went over the overflow and grew up in the overflows to adult hood.

We tried fake urchins and long spine urchins but there was never any babies seen in either of those.

In our main display tank we had baby Bangai but they never made it a week in the acro colonies before becoming fish food.

In a refugium tank I put 6 pygmy seahorses to see how they would do feeding off all the pods. In about 6 months in a 30g tank of chaeto and caluerpa I had about 60 adult pygmy seahorses. Baby Pygmys are like the size of small brine shrimp. It takes awhile to recognize them in the tank they are so tiny.

We have had lots of other fish breed in the tank. But have never seen fry/babies. Clowns, Orange Tail Damsels, Flame Back Angels, Pygmy Angels, Venustus Angels, Yellow Clown Gobies, Yellow Neon Gobies, Joculator Angels, Gold Flake Angels, Target Mandarin, Spotted Mandarin, Bellus Angels, Golden Angels, Fridmandi Pseudochromis and Venustus Angels.

Catching the angels spawning is amazing. And when we had everyone happy we had 4 pairs of angels spawning everynight all within a minute or 2 of each other. But the moment the eggs spew out and the male fertilizes the rest of the tank population swoops in for a caviar feast. It's amazing how aggressive anthias can get going for fish eggs.

Dave B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most fish spawn in my tank and do it constantly. Watchmans, clown gobies, seahorses, bluestripe pipefish, Bangai Cardinals, blue devils, fireclowns, bananafish, Mandarins, Ruby Red dragonettes.etc.

Fireclown with eggs.

Watchman with eggs

Seahorses transfering eggs to male.

Bluedevil over his nest of eggs.

Last edited:

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes! My 2 pairs of clowns breed regularly and I have a breeding pair of Blue Neon Gobies & Springeri Damsels in the same tank also. My pairs of Ruby Red Dragonettes have also bred in the past. I have never kept the fry to try to raise them. Maybe one day!

artificio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clowns just started to clean up their rock and defend it after doing the picking at the sand thing, so I assume laying eggs is not that far off. This is my first tank and my first pair of saltwater fish, there's only one other fish in the tank (a black molly that eats my never ending supply of algae).

ReefLegends

For all your phyto, rotifer and copepods needs
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have clowns that are laying constantly and one a regular schedule. I set up some larvae systems and would like to raise bangaii cardinals. Anyone want to give me some directions above general knowledge.

IntrinsicReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 18 year old clowns still laying eggs and guarding them fiercely! The eggs hatch, but in a mixed reef, they quickly become food.
I maintained a system where 6 or so Banggai Cardinal fry grew up. The drain went straight into the refugium in the first chamber in the sump, and they settled and grew in there.

Last edited:

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

Cary Meredith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had clownfish lay eggs multiple times. But biggest now is I have Bangi Cardinal fish that are a pair and regularly have babies. I have raised 1 to almost 1 inch in size when another fish started picking on it. Right now I have 1 alive from the latest batch that is about 1/2 inch in size. He is safely in my Refugium without any other fish.

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had clownfish lay eggs multiple times. But biggest now is I have Bangi Cardinal fish that are a pair and regularly have babies. I have raised 1 to almost 1 inch in size when another fish started picking on it. Right now I have 1 alive from the latest batch that is about 1/2 inch in size. He is safely in my Refugium without any other fish.
Have you been removing them from your display? Very interested to hear more about this, ive been collecting banggai with the aim to try breeding them. Ive got 6 right now but they are still smaller guys so I expect it will be a little while.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had clowns that spawned regularly. When I gave the eggs to another reefer, he raised the clowns to adults. But on their own in the tank, no fry survived.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back