Sony a6000

shornik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for mothers day :rolleyes: I bought my wife the Sony a6000. Well she's also letting me use it to take pictures of my tank. Honestly I'm just getting started playing around with it and was hoping to get advice from anyone here with the camera. Lenses your using, settings your using, tips/tricks.

Thanks in advance.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! We have a few Meyer items in my house too!:) My Your.

Its a sony so you should have very few problems. ESP with color and exposure. Try just going full auto first and see what happens. Then try setting the white balances high 10,oook and up. Your lens will have a minimum focus distance, it wont focus on things too close, find out what that is, and zoom in. stay flat to the glass. turn off lights behind you to cut reflections.
Read the stickies here on the site they are pretty darn good.

Post up your pics and your questions here when stuff doesnt work out.
Then well help find a good Meyer macro lens for fathers day!

OP
OP
shornik

shornik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @saltyfilmfolks it took my a while to figure out what Meyer was, I had never heard of those lenses, but My/Your I finally get it.
I have been thinking about a macro lens I want those pics I see everywhere, any suggestions?

Here are a few pics I took today, still playing around.....
IMG_6749.JPG

The orange fan sponge I was using manual focus, and its weird when I do that it zooms in and I try to focus and when I think it is I click to take a pic.

The next two I used autofocus, and so I'm not sure where/what exactly the camera is focusing on. I changed the focus from wide (is that the right menu name?) to center. Anyway the first one was a little bit away from the glass and the 2nd was with the lens right up on the glass like you suggested.

IMG_6750.JPG lens against the glass.... IMG_6758.JPG

Also, I don't know if this matters but I'm using lower sized files, when I tried to upload the actual sized file I received an error that it was too big for R2R.

I'll start reading the stickies too, thanks again.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. Clearly you won't need my help. :)
Those came out great!
Yup check out the stickies and practice practice practice. A lot of of it is finding out what and how the works and it's a little different from camera to camera.
I think that's one of the mirror less cameras so you'll be able to actually buy older manual focus lenses to play with. Much less expensive too.
My next camera will likely be a Sony too.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back